Leap of Faith - I 💫

"We have reached", Arjun murmured, parking his car in front of the gates of the housing society where Neha stayed.

"Please stay tonight", Neha mumbled. Her eyes were clenched, trying to stop her tears. She could feel the change of air in their relationship and she was not liking it at all. It takes courage to open up and share the unpleasant events of one's life and Neha was trying to gather that courage.

Arjun did not want to stay, especially after Neha had purposefully avoided the topic of Rahul but knowing that she would weep in his absence, he chose to stay by her side. Nodding, he drove inside the parking lot. Mechanically, both of them got down from the car and headed towards the elevator. Except the pings of the mechanical voice in the elevator, there was complete silence and both of them were despising it.

"Arjun, I need to talk". Finally Neha said it, upon entering inside her home. Arjun yanked her hand and pulled her in his lap as he sat on the couch. Observing her timid orbs, he realized that she had been crying all this while. Her ebony black locks were covering her tear-stricken face. Tucking her unruly locks behind her ear, he gently kissed on her nose.

Her insides clenched, and she whispered, "You called me your fiancée", with gleam of hopes in her eyes.

"Did you not like it?" He asked, holding her in his arms.

"Why are you ignoring me?" She asked, gently biting his ear, relishing the feeling of being in his arms despite being in an uncomfortable position.

"I am not", he murmured, rubbing her back. He wanted to reprimand her for not sharing her traumas but he refrained, looking at her vulnerability.

"I was engaged to Rahul". Finally she said it, holding him as tightly as she could, not wanting to let him go. She dreaded his reaction but she was ready to bear everything for once and all.

"Why did you let him go? We should have filed a complaint against him." He asked, perturbed. He was possessive about his woman and now, he was curious to know what happened between Rahul and Neha that gave Rahul audacity to insult her publically but he did not want to force information out of her.

"I didn't want to create any ruckus", she murmured. Arjun was dissatisfied with the reply.

"Why did you fell weak before the guy who was calling you names, Neha? I expect better from you." He reprimanded her angrily, embracing her tightly in his arms. Enraged, he was trying to control his anger, not wanting to hurt her, yet squeezing her fragile body in his sturdy arms.

"Do you trust me, Arjun?" She hiccupped, clinging to him even more.

Arjun sighed. Distrusting her was out of question. "You have never given a single reason to not do so", he told her with immense sincerity, trying to remove her insecurities.

"I love you, Arjun", she muttered, hiding her face in the crook of his neck.

"I love you more, baby", he replied, while his mind was curious to know about Rahul.

"I am not characterless", she mumbled, crying her heart out.

"Why the hell do you need validation, Neha? You are the most innocent woman I have ever met. You are a girl who is dating for the first time." He reprimanded her angrily, yet, making sure his tone was soft enough to not make her cry more.

He could not keep quiet anymore. He asked, "Why does Rahul matter? Who is he to you?"

"Rahul is a businessman and my parents had selected him for me. It was an arranged marriage. Since he had no issues with my job, we planned to go ahead with the proposal. My parents have been already against my job. My engagement was called off and my parents have lost trust in me." Finally she said it, hiding in his brawny arms, lacking courage to face him.