Dilemma 👐

This chapter contains mature content. Reader's discretion adviced.

Amidst the uncanny silence, Neha and her siblings were sitting anxiously in the living room. It had been a weird day, indeed. The three of them had no regrets, though. They knew that their parents came under the category of people who chose to follow the conservative old-age customs and hence, the old couple could never appreciate the traditions that upheld the freedom and respect of women.

Ramesh and Anju had left the house. Their children were disappointed in their parents but they had not tried to stop them for good. They were trying to soak in the best and worst feelings of the day. Everyone was truly elated because Neha was getting married to the man who loved her the most. Everyone was deeply saddened because Neha was getting married without the blessings of her parents.

"Have some fritters with tea", Sheetal spoke to the trio while Amit was busy looking after the four kids in the house.

"I don't want to", Piyush mumbled, getting up. He wanted to rush to his room for some privacy.

"Come on, all three of you. You cannot sit with such a sullen face. For God's sake, Neha di is getting married day after tomorrow. We need to do all the rituals happily. Arjun jijaji is a good man and he doesn't deserve a sad, uninterested bride with huge dark circles. You need to be strong and happy." Sheetal reprimanded the siblings and Neha smiled. She admired the maternal instinct Sheetal had to lighten the dense atmosphere.

Grabbing two pakoras, Neha dipped it in the spicy green chutney and offered it to both Piyush and Piya. "When I had already decided to marry without informing my parents, I guess, I should be happy." Neha mumbled, faking a smile. As a young girl, she had always imagined getting married happily, following all the rituals while her parents would smile, standing in a corner. Alas! Not all wishes are meant to be fulfilled.

Piya called Amit. Her husband had not had lunch and she knew, he would not admit being hungry. "I have booked the hotel for your reception and all preparations are done. The temple is booked for day after tomorrow and they will give you a certificate too. You can register your marriage by submitting that certificate whenever you have booked your slot." Piyush murmured, munching on the fritters. He had just eaten two paranthas since morning.

"I wonder why do we had to get into the hassle of court marriage. The wedding is already happening in the presence of you all." Neha sulked. Everyone chuckled. She was right. She was not eloping with Arjun, rather she was having a proper wedding in presence of all her relatives. Her wedding reception would be held before the registered wedding.

"You can easily travel abroad for your honeymoon", Piya chortled while Neha turned crimson. Piya was right. Normally, people register their marriage in the court of law to attain a marriage certificate needed for travelling abroad.

Cheering up a bit with all the stupid jokes, they planned the itinerary for the next day. They decided to celebrate the traditional haldi and mehendi rituals. Piyush and Sheetal showed the elegant jewellery pieces and clothes, they had chosen for Arjun's family. The wedding, though simple, was a miniature of a big, fat wedding. Neha had no reasons to stay sad anymore. The thick tension in the house was dissipating gradually into thin air as everyone giggled at their own stupid jokes.

On the other hand, Arjun was frustrated at his mother and his sister who had been on a shopping spree. While Mayank looked after his kids, Ajay and Arjun were extremely tired. Arjun remembered to check his WhatsApp and he was excited. In the notifications, he had checked that Neha's message contained a few photos which were yet, to be downloaded. He was lost in his own world when his father said, "Her parents deserved to know beforehand".