A Toxic Relationship 😔

Triggering content ahead
Disclaimer - I do not support violence of any kind.

"I cannot marry some random person". Finally Neha spoke, with her eyes glued to her lap as she fiddled with her fingers, however, her voice was as firm and authoritative as that of her father. Her parents were surprised after all, their daughter had never talked in such an incredulous tone as she had replied with today. Perhaps, it was not her but her love for Arjun talking.

"We went against our traditions and let you talk to the guys before the wedding but you acted like a banshee making them run away. Your siblings are married and its only you who acts like a brat every time. I am done with your tantrums now." Her father yelled at her, gritted his teeth and she was way too shocked to react. Her father had disrespected her, calling her a witch in her own house and she could not even retaliate.

"Why did you take birth, Neha? I wish you were dead. What is wrong in getting married, for God's sake?" Her mother yelled at her, walking at her as she held her shoulders. Neha stood up meeting the enraged eyes of her mother. Her heartbeats increased and a shiver ran down her spine. Perhaps, it was another anxiety attack on the way, due to the adrenaline that rushed along with terrible memories when her mother's words had scarred her for the lifetime.

"I don't want to marry someone like Rahul", she muttered, glaring at her mother in anger and disgust.

A loud noise echoed in the room as her mother slapped Neha. The old woman had never expected that her daughter would talk back to her. The slap was not hard enough to give her physical pain but it was indeed, strong to break Neha. Never in her life had she given anyone the right to insult and physically abuse her. She controlled herself from retaliating against her birth-giver while her hands craved to return the favour.

"Anju, remove your hands off her. She is an independent woman and you cannot beat her. If you would have slapped her years ago, she would have been a cultured woman unlike this." Ramesh reprimanded his wife, taunting on the upbringing of their daughter. Neha chuckled at the misogyny in the family that raised her. Anju timidly walked away following the orders of her husband. She was used to getting questioned and getting judged for whatever she did. She was angry at Neha who was the reason of the taunts she heard every now and then.

"What was wrong with him? He had such a nice family and he held an affluent position in the society. He was even letting you work." Her mother shouted at Neha in sheer disgust and she controlled herself from throwing her parents out of her house.

"Why do you think that we don't care about your future? Neha, this guy is the best for you." Her father muttered softly. This alliance was important for him. He could go to any extent to make this marriage happen.

Recently, Ramesh had incurred a heavy loss in the business and his son was unaware. He did not want Piyush to know about his wrong decisions. Varun had offered to bear the loss if Ramesh could find a bride for him. Ramesh was glad that Neha was not married yet. He wanted to encash Neha to hide his mistakes from his own son. He wanted to use Neha to protect his fragile ego and hence, he had planned this impromptu wedding.

"I don't want to marry someone randomly", Neha yelled. Her face had turned red due to the adrenaline rush in her body. Her legs were giving away but she chose to stand strong for herself and her love towards Arjun.

"You will get married to Varun, my dear. If you don't, we will cut all contacts with you and then, you can live like an orphan." Her dad retaliated and she wanted to laugh at him for the first time. Did she even need such parents or such a family? She was capable enough to earn a living for herself and she had someone who loved her. She was better off without her so-called parents who had the audacity to create a ruckus in her own house.

"When are you both going back?" She asked with a tone of resentment and sarcasm trying to control her anger.

"So you have the audacity to ask your parents to leave from your filthy, little, rented apartment while we have allowed you to do the job and live this life like a wanton! We ruined our sleep to come here and meet you while this is how you treat us." Her father yelled at her. He was surprised at the new version of his daughter. He had expected her to cry and throw a fit but here Neha was disrespecting him, asking him to leave.

Neha was proud of herself. Her eyes travelled around every immaculate corner of her house, her own home-sweet-home, which she had nurtured with her own hard earned money.

"I will prepare the breakfast. Freshen up, eat and sleep. After a sound sleep in my so-called little apartment, kindly leave. Remember, I am not marrying anyone." She mumbled, and rushed to the kitchen while her parents stood dumbfounded.

Once inside the kitchen, her tears knew no bounds as she began to knead the dough for paranthas, cursing her maid for not coming up on time. Her father yelled, "You will get engaged in the fifteenth of the next month so go with your mother and buy your outfits", as if nothing had happened.

"We are not going anywhere till your engagement happens". She heard her mother and cursed under her breath. Thankfully the doorbell rang and she found an escape.

It was Meera, her new maid. She had recently appointed one for herself after Arjun had pointed out the irregularity in her meals because she was too lazy to cook for herself. The lady cooked for her and her diet had been coming on track since then. "Didi, you have guests today", the middle-aged woman said, after greeting everyone in the room.

"Meera, my parents have come today. The dough is ready so prepare the paranthas along with any vegetable. Prepare some rice and dal for lunch." Neha instructed and rushed to her room. All she needed was her phone as she craved to have a conversation with Arjun.

"Why do you need a maid if you stay alone?" Her mother asked incredulously as Meera scurried to the kitchen.

"Because I can afford her salary", Neha replied. Her tongue itched to add 'unlike you' but looking at her father's angry face, she refrained.

"We are not going anywhere till you get married now, Neha", her father emphasized and she huffed.

"As you wish", she mumbled and went to her bedroom. She desperately needed a bath to clear her head. She was sure of one thing though. She was not marrying anyone except her one-and-only Arjun.

•••••••••••••••♥️•••••••••••••••

Hello everyone

I feel pity on Neha, seriously!

Anyway, flowers are on her way soon 😉

P.S 'LET'S HATE HER PARENTS TOGETHER' MISSION is ON.

With immense love, I sign off ♥️

I will try updating once again in March