xlviii. car + learner driver + apollo = boom

chapter forty-eight

─── car + learner driver + apollo = boom

          𝕿en year old Nico made my life difficult because I had to be the one to break it to a child that his older sister had joined an elite group of female warriors that he wouldn't be able to follow and he most likely would never see her again after this weekend, apart from once a year. Unsurprisingly, he took it pretty badly.

The Hunters broke camp as quickly as they'd set it up. I stood huffing in the snow, shaking frost and ice from my hair, and Artemis stared into the east like she was expecting Apollo to be punctual. Bianca sat off to one side, talking with Nico. I could tell from his gloomy face that she was explaining her decision to join the Hunt, and I prepared myself for the counselling that I would have to do.

Thalia and Grover came up and huddled around me, anxious to hear what had happened in my audience with the goddess.

When I told them, Grover turned pale. "The last time the Hunters visited camp, it didn't go well."

"And Bianca joined them," Thalia said, disgusted. "It's all Zoe's fault. That stuck-up, no good—"

"Thalia," I warned yet again, not in the mood for an argument. "Now is not the time."

Finally the sky began to lighten. Artemis muttered, "About time. He's so lazy during the winter."

There was a sudden burst of light on the horizon. A blast of warmth and I turned Grover and Thalia around, waiting until Apollo had parked. The light and warmth intensified until my winter coat felt like it was melting off of me and into my skin. Then, suddenly, the light died.

I looked, raising an eyebrow at the glowing red convertible Maserati Spyder. The snow had melted around the Maserati in a perfect circle, which explained why I was now standing on green grass and my shoes were slightly wet.

The driver got out, smiling and I rolled my eyes.

"Wow," Thalia muttered. "Apollo is hot."

"He's the sun god," I muttered.

"That's not what I meant."

"Little sister!" Apollo called. If his teeth were any whiter he could've blinded us. "What's up? You never call. You never write. I was getting worried!"

Artemis sighed. "I'm fine, Apollo. And I am not your little sister."

"Hey, I was born first."

"We're twins! How many millennia do we have to argue—"