𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗴 | one call away

Reader Is: Neutral Age Non-Member
Categories: Angst, Fluff
Summary: Handong calls her girlfriend to let her know that she'll be home a little later than usual.

You slammed the front door to your apartment shut with a deep, frustrated sigh, letting your head fall back against the wooden surface as you let your eyelids flutter shut. It wasn't something that you ever felt safe enough to do on public transportation, nor was it something that you could do at work, so just being able to stop and close your eyes seemed like a luxury.

You had been wanting to do so all day. It was just one of those days, from waking up on the wrong side of the bed to misplacing your phone for the entire afternoon. You were hoping for a cure-all to your awful day with the appearance of your girlfriend, Han Dong.

You were expecting a cheerful greeting as soon as you walked through the door, but when none came, you looked around in concern. Every light was off, just as you had left it in the morning, which told you that not only was Handong not calling to you – she wasn't even home at all.

That was the final straw for you. Your chin began to wobble as you looked up at the ceiling, trying to blink away your tears, but it didn't work. You only shuffled as far as the kitchen island before the dam broke and you began crying loudly, letting your purse and heels fall to the floor as you slumped onto a barstool.

About a minute later, your phone rang. You debated not answering it, but figured that might not be in your best interest. You didn't bother to check the caller ID, only realizing how stuffed-up you sounded when you spoke. "Hello?"

"Hi, angel," Handong replied, sounding rushed. "I just wanted to let you know I'll be home late. I'm at the studio still and I didn't want you to worry. I'll see you soon, okay?"

"Okay." You were trying your hardest to hold back a sob, but your voice cracked anyway.

"Angel?" Handong's voice was suddenly filled with concern. "Is everything okay? Are you crying?"

"No," you fibbed. "I'm fine." A convincing liar, you were not – at least, not to Handong, anyways.

"I don't believe you," Handong warned. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I'm fine." Tears began washing over your face again as you lied to your girlfriend, and you decided that it would be best to simply escape the situation. "I'll see you soon, Handong. Love you."

"Wait, ang—" Handong began, but you pressed the end call button and tossed your phone aside carelessly. You covered your face as you dropped your head to the surface of the island, letting your shoulders shake with every sob.

All you wanted was to be in your girlfriend's arms, and you felt like you couldn't have the one singular thing that comforted you. So, you went for the next best thing.

You grabbed your phone and pulled up the music app, opening your favorite playlist and tapping the first song that came up: Handong's solo song, First Light of Dawn. As the opening notes began, you leaned against the counter again, shutting your eyes and listening to the music.

You didn't know how long you had been sitting there like that, allowing yourself to wallow in your misery and get some of your negative emotions out, when the front door burst open. "Angel! What's wrong?"

Handong ran straight to you, not even bothering to take off her shoes before throwing her belongings on the island and wrapping her arms around you tightly. "Are you okay? What happened?"

Her panicked questions made your heart break. You knew you had to reassure her. "I just had a really horrible day, that's all," you choked out.

"Oh, angel," Handong whispered. Her embrace became more gentle as she spoke. "I'm so sorry. I'm here now to listen to you if you want to talk about it. I'm sorry, I would have gotten here sooner, but I hope you don't mind, I..." Handong let her sentence trail off as she gestured to the counter, where she had quickly dumped a large bouquet of flowers and a box of takeout that you instantly recognized to be from your favorite restaurant.

"Oh, Handong," you whispered, trying not to cry for what felt to you like the millionth time that day. "You're so incredible."

Handong shook her head, her gaze loving as it admired you. "You're the incredible one. If I worked like you do, I would act this way every single day. You amaze me, you know. I never want you to have bad days, but I'm sort of glad to have the excuse to spoil you and tell you how amazing you are."

"You do that all the time, Handong."

"Not nearly enough for such an amazing girl." Handong gave you a soft smile, gently tucking your hair behind your ear. "But come on, angel, let's eat this food before it gets cold. I think it's always enjoyed best on the couch while watching your favorite movie, anyway."