𝗱𝗮𝗺𝗶 | before we even started

Reader Is: Same Age (InSomnia AU)
Categories: Angst, Fluff
Summary: The reader's college roommate and best friend, Yubin, leaves her just as the reader is contemplating asking her out.

You hated to own up to it at first. Then you had gotten used to it – admitting that you loved her to yourself, anyway. To her was another story.

Because Lee Yubin was your best friend. Your ride or die. Your platonic soulmate – or for her, you were. For you, well, you were convinced of a different kind of connection.

But you didn't want to tell her that. Why would you risk losing the best person in your life? She was the only one that you could go to about anything but your crush on her. She understood you inside and out. She never judged you, because you had all the same opinions anyway. You often joked that you had morphed into a singular person since you were so similar.

That was the thing, though. Yubin was always joking with you. When she wasn't teasing you, she was pranking you, when she wasn't pranking you, she was poking fun at you. You didn't mind it a bit; in fact, you did so right back.

It just meant that it was hard to get a read on her true feelings. So, out of your best judgment, you never said a thing.

Besides, you flirted playfully with her all the time. It was nearly as good as having her all to yourself – when she wasn't being hit on in front of you all the time. Yubin was the most popular gay girl on campus, what with her handsome looks and gentlewomanly ways; though being shy, she never really reciprocated.

You sometimes half-heartedly attempted jealous revenge by flirting openly with others in front of her, but that never seemed to do any good. Yubin just ignored it.

You had been doing more thinking about your predicament than usual thanks to all the spare time that catching a nasty flu had given you. You had put a pause on dragging yourself around campus, deciding that it was probably better to recuperate where a bathroom was easily accessible. Your dorm room bed was your home base of choice.

Unfortunately, you didn't think that you would be able to get away with skipping classes much longer. You were feeling a lot better thanks to all the sweet care that Yubin had been administering when she wasn't in class herself. Given her top marks whether she seemed to study or not thanks to her impressive smarts, you didn't worry that she abandoned her homework for you.

The only ailments that lingered were a low-grade fever and a host of wacky dreams. Yubin had joked (though you weren't really in the mood to laugh along) that it was thanks to Dreamcatcher, your shared favorite band. The nightmare fairies are haunting you, she teased. It's 'cause you said that JiU was bias wrecking you, this is Gahyeon's revenge.

In the evenings, you typically dozed off next to Yubin while she studied for midterms. You should have been doing the same thing – you were the first to admit it – but you were just too run down. Yubin had been kind enough to share all her notes and help you when she could, and for that, you were incredibly appreciative.

At the moment, however, she was studying in silence; her headphones blocking her ears. You were facing away from her, listening to the scritch, scratch of her pen on paper as your mind wandered dazedly. The medication that you had choked down would kick in imminently, you were sure.

In the meantime, you let yourself mull over the events of the past few days.

While you were sick, Yubin never tried to avoid you and your germs. She brought you medicine, brought you food, and reminded you to check your temperature every so often. Maybe it was the fact that she was studying to be a veterinarian that did it, encouraging her caretaking nature, but you were still surprised at how attentive she had become.