𝘀𝗶𝘆𝗲𝗼𝗻 | small but certain happiness

Reader Is: Younger (Non-DC AU)
Categories: Fluff
Summary: The reader's wife Siyeon supports her through the delivery of their child.

Lee Siyeon held your hand gently, letting you squeeze her relaxed fingers through your contraction. "I'm right here, honey."

"I can't—" you choked on the remainder of your sentence, but your wife understood you regardless.

"Yes, you can. You're already doing it. Just a little bit longer." Siyeon looked at you with a soft gaze as you squinted up at her.

The end of your contraction drew a cry from your lips. "Unnie, it hurts!"

"I know, honey." Siyeon gently ran her fingers under your eyes to brush away your tears. "But they said that we can move to the tub now, doesn't that sound good?"

"Okay," you whimpered. In truth, it sounded amazing, but your energy was too focused elsewhere to say that much.

Siyeon motioned for your midwife, who was already on her way to your bedside. Together, the two women helped you a few feet away to the birthing tub that had been filled with delightfully warm water. Climbing in felt like stepping through the pearly gates of heaven.

After nine long months, your body had finally caught up to your soul's readiness to meet the child that you had been growing within you. Almost.

For as long as those weeks since you got pregnant had seemed, the past day seemed even more so. The wait was agonizing, but it was only made worse by the physical pain that you were in. Why, in your pregnant brain haze, had you decided that natural birth was the best route? You wanted to shake yourself by the shoulders with each contraction.

Instead, however, Siyeon was massaging them as she climbed into the tub behind you. "Unnie," you whimpered, grasping for Siyeon with eyes screwed tight. "Another—"

"I'm right here, I'm right here," she repeated soothingly. She grabbed your hand and placed it on your knee, which you squeezed with such force that you felt her cringe. Like a champ, she didn't say a thing. You would have offered an apology if you could speak, but that would have to wait.

At the end of your contraction, another scream ripped from your throat. "It hurts so much," you cried. "Unnie, help me."

"My heart is breaking," you vaguely registered Siyeon whispering to the midwife before she replied to you.

"You're doing so well, honey. You're almost there." As she spoke, her hands kneaded your flesh deeply. "Let's take more of those breaths that we practiced."

Siyeon gingerly placed one hand between your breasts and swollen belly. "Inhale."

Shakily, you followed her instructions as your doctor stepped into the room. He greeted you and your wife, but you couldn't even open your eyes to look at him, let alone speak. Siyeon did it for you, smiling at him with her warm eyes that had been perpetually watery for the past few hours.

Your doctor leaned over, gently lifting the towel that covered your belly. "You're doing great, mama," he told you. "How are we feeling about p—"

Another cry from your lips cut his sentence off as you grabbed both of Siyeon's hands. "Oh—" she whimpered, but she quickly recovered. "It's okay, honey, squeeze all you need..."

"Yeah, she's ready to push," your doctor announced to the room at large.

As your contraction eased, you felt Siyeon exhale shakily against your neck. She slipped her hands under your arms at the doctor's instruction, pulling you against her chest. Her steady heartbeat, the only thing that could calm you in any situation, made your head loll back in relief – but not for long.

"Yep, that's it," your midwife said quickly as your eyes flew open, then shut once more as a massive wave of pressure washed over you. "Follow that feeling, let's go, push now."

You were sure that a visit to the dentist would soon be in order with the way that you were gritting your teeth. "That's it, honey," Siyeon whispered softly. She pressed her plump lips to the side of your head, leaving gentle kisses against your skin. "Just like that."

She wasn't fazed by a single cry that left your lips. She loosely linked her hands together with yours, allowing you to squeeze when you needed to, which was near constantly. "We can see the head, mama, reach down and feel it," your doctor told you after a few minutes.

You and Siyeon both gasped at the same time as your joined hands carefully caressed the baby's head. Just before another wave of pressure hit you, you leaned back against her. "I love you," you whispered breathlessly.

In the midst of your pain-filled haze, you heard her repeat the sentiment softly. Then one final scream slipped from your lips, accompanied by several voices telling you to keep going, just a little bit more: your baby was almost there.

Your shaky hand was guided into the water by your midwife, Siyeon's wrapped around it the whole time. Your eyes opened just in time to see the two of you holding your baby for the first time. The tiny human was quickly swept out of the water and placed against your chest, small cries soon joining those of you and your wife's.

"Our baby," you sobbed. Your pain had become replaced with euphoria, an unexplainable phenomenon that you wouldn't even question. You weren't about to seek out the feeling of labor again in a million years. Suddenly, you were quite sure that you only wanted one child.

So, you soaked up every moment as they came: Siyeon burying her face into your neck as she cried, whispering how proud she was of you. Gazing into the eyes of the beautiful creation that you had grown inside of you for the first time. Feeling so absolutely surrounded by love on all sides.

You had done it, possibly the hardest thing that you would ever do in your life – but oh, it was so worth it. And throughout the entirety of it, from the day that you first said you wanted to have a baby to the moment of birth, your loving wife had been by your side to support you.

Siyeon's arms wrapped around you and your baby as you caught your breath for a moment before she could cut the cord. She didn't care that neither of you were perfectly clean or looking your best, she pressed kisses to both of you regardless.

The words that she whispered into your ear were so soft that you could hardly hear them, indicating the private weight of her sentiments.

"I never thought that I could love someone as much as I love you," she spoke. "But now I realize that I can, in a completely different way. Thank you, honey, for this. It's the best gift that you could have ever given me."