𝗷𝗶𝘂 | what is love?

Reader Is: Neutral Age (Non-DC AU)
Categories: Angst, Fluff
Summary: The reader becomes reminded of why her relationship with Minji is worth it, despite their ups and downs.

If someone asked you to describe your relationship with Kim Minji in one word – at the moment, at least – you would probably pick stressful.

That person would likely presume that you felt that way because of Minji's busy CEO job, running a small chain of cafés. But Dreamcatcher Coffee Co. had nothing to do with it, in all truthfulness.

It was Minji's attitude that did it.

She was jealous but a flirt, clingy but needed space, and you'd be damned if you could ever get a read on her feelings. If you so much as looked at another woman, she'd be cold to you the whole day, but she'd buy a drink for a pretty girl right under your nose. If she didn't text you back for two hours, that was her being busy; if you didn't text her within five minutes, your phone was blown up with calls.

Every time you had so much as a tiff with her, you reconsidered your relationship with Minji – why were you there? She picked fights over the smallest things, whereas you avoided telling her actual problems.

Currently, for example, she was berating you for leaving a cupboard door open. "The last time you did this, I hit my head on it and got a massive headache! Do I have to pick up after you like a child?!"

"Minji, it's a cupboard door," you sighed in exasperation. "Just close it. I don't know why it got left open. Probably because my hands were too full to close it, and I just forgot to come back."

"Would it kill you to say sorry?"

You stared at her, shocked. "Nothing happened!"

"You never said sorry the last time!"

"Minji, how do you even remember that?!" You threw your hands up in the air. "Fine, I'm sorry! Can we stop bringing this up now?!"

"Oh yeah, that sounded real genuine," Minji bit back. "You never listen to me."

Ah, so there was the real problem – and she had a point there, you'd forgotten how this specifically was important to her. But before you could even acknowledge that, Minji announced, "Forget it. I'm going out." From her pocket, she produced a pack of cigarettes that she clearly meant to flaunt in front of you.

Your jaw dropped. Your body seemed to become unfrozen just in time for her to grab her arm as she made to walk away. "Minji! Where did you get those?!"

"Why do you care?"

"Since when do you smoke?!" You immediately felt sick to your stomach. You had never known Minji to partake in the bad habit, and the fact that she had suddenly picked up something so harmful made your heart drop.

Minji shrugged. "I don't know."

You frowned at her vague answer. One glance at the pack in her hand told you that its plastic seal was still on; it was brand new.

Before she could gather what you were doing, you snatched it right out of her hand.

"Hey—!" She tried to get it back, but you managed to keep it out of her reach. Thinking on your feet, when she got too close for comfort, you took a chance and tossed it. It landed right where you'd prayed for it to, on top of the kitchen cabinets. She'd have to get a ladder to reach it.

You smirked in satisfaction as Minji whirled towards you, furious. "You owe m—"

"You don't smoke, Minji."

Minji looked so mad that you half expected steam to start coming out of her ears. "I think I'm old enough to make decisions for myself, thank you!"

"Where did you really get the cigarettes?"

"I – they were a gift, okay?! But that doesn't mean I don't smoke! Just – you know, I don't buy them all the time, maybe!"

You couldn't keep a smile off your face, and you knew it would be trouble, but it was impossible to hide.

"Stop fucking laughing! What's your problem?!"

"Minji, you're hilarious if you think I'm gonna let you do something like that."

"You don't own me."

"You're right, I don't," you conceded. "But I do love you."

"You do?"

You blinked. Minji seemed so suddenly genuine – and surprised. Why? "Of course I do. I love you, Minji."

Minji bit her lip slowly. "Even—" She couldn't get through the sentence before she had to sit down on a nearby barstool, sighing. "Even when I start fights over stupid things?"

"Minji," you said softly. You took her hands in yours, even as she flinched a bit, as though not sure whether she wanted to accept the sweet gesture. "I hear you saying that I don't listen to you enough. I know that that's what this is really about."

Minji hung her head. You didn't pressure her to look at you or say anything, knowing she was still processing it all herself.

"Regarding the cupboard, I'm sorry that I didn't apologize the last time, and that I forgot how important this is to you. It truly was an accident, but I understand that it still hurt you because it seemed like I wasn't listening."

Minji nodded, still not meeting your eyes.

"I'm sorry, Ji. I will do my best to remember in the future. I do listen to everything you say...if only to hear that gorgeous voice of yours."

With both the pet name and the compliment, Minji raises her head a bit more. By the time you're finished speaking, she's looking at you. "Thank you. I forgive you." She sighed a little, looking somewhere over your shoulder, and you could tell that there was still something on her mind.

"I feel bad that we get into these arguments all the time. I forget that you love me in the middle of them, and I forget everything we have."

"When we're in it like this, it's hard to remember that," you agreed. "But Minji, I love you so much."

"Yeah?" Minji looked back at you to give you a watery smile.

"Yeah. I love how generous you are to everyone you meet. I love that you care about people and do everything you can to make them feel good. I love that you worry about me and always check up on me to make sure I'm okay. I love your beautiful smile, your pretty eyes, and your big heart."

"Sometimes it doesn't feel so big, when I seem to hurt you like this," Minji whispered.

You squeezed her hands, silently willing the tears in her eyes to go away as you did so. "I'm not perfect either, Minji. We were both hurt today; you because you thought I wasn't listening to you, and me because you took that out on me without considering that I might have just forgotten."

Minji nodded.

"It's us versus the problem, okay, Ji?"

Minji nodded again, and you could tell that she was truly taking in your words. "Got it." After a pause, she smiled wryly. "Is this 'opposites attract?'"

You chuckled at that. You and Minji were as similar as could be – one soul in two bodies. You'd never met someone so perfect for you as her. "No, Ji. This is love."