𝗵𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗴 | once again | 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘴 𝘢𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘱𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘵𝘸𝘰

Reader Is: Neutral Age Non-Member
Categories: Angst, Fluff
Summary: Dong/Handong and the reader reconnect after several years.

"K-Pop Girl Group Dreamcatcher Returns with Second Full Album: 'MAISON' Title Track, All Members Solo Tracks."

Much like you had on that day all those years ago, you sat at the dining room table with your phone in your hands, your knees bouncing anxiously as you chewed on your bottom lip. It was already raw – you'd been rereading the article for ten minutes already.

It suddenly felt as hard as it had the first time to work up the courage to listen to Dong's song.

"A gentle R&B melody accompanies lyrics detailing a 'regretful breakup,' according to Handong, who says she drew inspiration from life before becoming an idol."

Just as you reread the paragraph for what had to have been the thirtieth time, an alarm you'd left on your phone to head out to an appointment suddenly sounded. Shocked, you dropped the device, your finger slipping in the process – and then the sound was no longer an annoying chime pattern. The room was suddenly filled with beautiful piano, and a soft voice you'd recognize anywhere resounded:

Living well, I'm living well

Today is the day we promised

That cold winter

Walking, holding your warm hand

Seems like yesterday

You were as frozen as the season she sang about. You could do nothing but sit there and listen.

You tried to take every lyric in, you really did, but the song so undeniably encompassed all of your memories that your brain couldn't keep up. You were stuck on fragments instead, and one verse in particular continued to ring in your head.

One day I saw you for just a moment

You looked good

You used to be so familiar

Now you seem unfamiliar

That was the moment you could no longer pretend the song was not about you.

You had, indeed, seen her briefly once after her debut. She had come back to your hometown for a singing competition, and though you'd tried to be inconspicuous, you knew that she'd spotted you hanging around outside the venue that she was filming in one day. It was your haphazard mistake, your fault for spying on her and wanting to see her in person to make sure she was still really the Dongie you knew.

You didn't hold the breakup over her. You knew it was hard enough for her as it was. You didn't contact her, being in such pain as you were, but if she were to reach out, you wouldn't have been angry or even terribly upset at her. To the best of your ability with your limited knowledge, you understood, and you accepted her choices.

You hadn't been as prepared as you thought you were to see her, however, so you swore off going to one of their concerts the way you'd always debated right then in that moment.

But suddenly, you were about to go back on that. Without a second thought, you pulled over your nearby laptop and typed in flight information. Your fingers just pressed the buttons for you subconsciously. Almost against your own will, the tickets were booked in minutes.

You would attend Dreamcatcher's upcoming concert in Seoul – those tickets were purchased next, albeit with shaky hands as reality began to set in – soon.