𝗴𝗮𝗵𝘆𝗲𝗼𝗻 | make a splash

Reader Is: Neutral Age (Non-DC AU)
Categories: Fluff
Summary: Feelings become revealed between Gahyeon and the reader at the former's birthday party.

There's plenty of beautiful women at Lee Gahyeon's party – her friend group has always been highly sought after and yet still untouchable, after all – but you have your eye on the birthday girl herself.

She looks stunning in black, a swimsuit that's trendily girlish but still sexy with its open-back design. Her womanly figure could make anything provocative, anyway.

You've always admired her from afar – for too long to admit, really. It's always seemed fruitless before, but for some reason, she seems to be eyeing you tonight as well.

It's not that that's unheard of; it's just that Gahyeon usually pays more attention to those on the inside of her closest circle. The rest of the people at the party have likely been invited to fill the large space of Gahyeon's penthouse with liveliness and fun – plus, she's gonna need more than her six best friends to eat that giant cake she's ordered.

Gahyeon seems to be heading your way, but it's hard to tell. You're at the poolside bar, so she could simply be on her way to get a cocktail. But on the way there, she's getting stopped left and right. Everyone wants to wish her happy birthday, to thank her for inviting them, to tell her what a lovely party it's been.

You get a bit bored watching the whole scene as she gets caught up in a long conversation. Luckily for you, Kim Yoohyeon has just swum up to the bar and swung her mile-long legs onto a stool. You check her out not-so-subtly, and she tosses her hair over her shoulder to give you a sparkling grin. "Hey! Nice to see you again."

You're about to reply likewise when she continues, "I think Gahyeon's been wanting to talk with you."

"Gahyeon wants to talk to me?" you repeat in surprise. You can't hide the emotion from your tone, nor your expression.

"Pretty sure," Yoohyeon says casually. She then turns to study intently a menu that Gahyeon definitely had to have run by her, prompting you to sit back in mild confusion, wondering what had just made her so shy. Even though Yoohyeon is a world-famous model, you can see the awkward kid she really is quite easily. You like that about her, actually; it's what keeps her real, not plastic.

And Gahyeon, what keeps her real is her personality.

A telltale, almost sickly-sweet voice – you'd question if her tone was real if you didn't know any better – rings out, as if on cue. "Sooyeon, my love, can I have the champagne, please?"

The bartender nods and bends down to grab the bottle off ice. As she disappears momentarily from view, the birthday girl turns to you. "Good evening."

"It's a great one now," you reply cheekily, giving her a wink. "Happy birthday, Gahyeon."

Gahyeon beams. It seems that she never tires of hearing sweet sentiments, so you make a mental note of that whilst she replies. "Thanks, honey. You look stunning, by the way."

Your face flushes madly. To receive a compliment from just anyone is flustering, but it's even worse from your crush. "Ah, t-thank you. So do you."

"Thanks!" Gahyeon twirls a bit on her stool to show off her outfit, the back of which still has yet to make you fail to bite your lip. You couldn't hide your reaction if you tried, but you're too busy thinking about how it would feel to grab her waist to even think about covering your expression.

When she catches another glimpse of your face, Gahyeon giggles. "You really like it, huh?"

"Hmm? Oh!" Your face somehow manages to turn even redder at her implication. "I – uh—"

Fortunately, Hwang Sooyeon has presented the champagne to Gahyeon just in time – saved by the bell – and she grabs the bottle. Instead of popping it herself, however, she hands it to you with a grin. "Go ahead."

"R-Really?"

"Yeah."

Well, what Gahyeon wants, Gahyeon should get. You successfully release the cork and squeal appropriately along with her as the two of you become covered in bubbles.

Laughing, you set the bottle down on the counter as Sooyeon produces glasses. She pours the champagne into several of them and sets them up neatly for people to grab – a few have come over to get one already.

You look around, but Gahyeon's circle seems to be preoccupied: Yoohyeon is grabbing some hors d'oeuvres, Kim Minji and Kim SuA are talking together as they sit on the pool's edge, Lee Siyeon is chatting up a female guest whose lashes are batting so fast you can hardly see her eyes, and Lee Yubin is taking pictures of Han Dong against the city skyline.

As you note that none of them seem to be dropping what they're doing, you hold up your glass, clearing your throat. "May I propose a toast?"

Gahyeon smiles widely at that. Her chocolate doe eyes look at you adoringly, eyebrows knitted together in happy anticipation. "Oh, don't we have a mic? Sooyeon, darling...?"

Oh, Lord. You really couldn't have cared less if everyone could hear you. You just wanted to make Gahyeon feel good. You were worried enough about being close enough to Gahyeon to be the one speaking. Fortunately, she seems plenty appreciative.

Sooyeon, who seems to accept being Gahyeon's right-hand woman for the night, produces a microphone from thin air or something – you're not really sure, it's hard to focus on anything but Gahyeon's face – and hands it to you.

Gahyeon helps you make sure it's turned on properly before you lift it to your mouth. "Well – I – don't know Gahyeon as well as I should to be making this toast," you laugh, "but I certainly hope in this year of her life that we will get closer." You smile at her and note that her face is turning pink, a shy smile twitching on the corners of her lips. Her hands are clasped in her lap, and she squeezes them giddily.

"I also wish, Gahyeon, that you will have a healthy, happy, prosperous year ahead – that you'll get to do all you want to do and see all you want to see, all with smooth sailing. May you always be surrounded by loving family and friends the way you are tonight – I know everyone here feels honored to spend this evening with you, celebrating the beautiful person you are. And as always, may you shine brighter than the stars. Happy birthday, Gahyeon!"

Gahyeon, who has covered her florid face with her hands, hardly remembers to take a sip of her drink. She doesn't seem truly focused on it anyway – and you learn why when she practically tosses the glass on the counter and grabs your face between her soft palms. "Thank you," she whispers. Before you can even process what is happening, her supple lips are pressed against yours.

You're just as shocked as everyone around you, but you have to pretend you're not, lest anyone question what the hell is going on with the two of you. Gently, you raise your hands to the back of her neck as everyone cheers. You can't stop yourself from grinning in embarrassment, but Gahyeon reciprocates the expression. Her smile makes your heart flutter as you feel it against yours.

When the two of you pull away, too giddy to kiss anymore, she ducks her head to whisper into your ear. "Seems my wishes have already come true."