7 | Tethered

━━━─── • ───━━━

Luna

"I'm sorry to keep you waiting. I didn't realize anyone had come inside," Luna said, stepping forward, her heels echoing in the small room.

"That's okay."

She walked around the man and checked her studio's front door. "That explains it. I'd forgotten to set the alarm."

"That's okay," he repeated, watching as she turned her sign in the window.

"I'm sorry. But my photography studio is closed."

"You own this studio?" he asked, ambling toward a wall with aerial photographs hanging on it.

"I do."

"These are amazing."

"Thank you," she said, noticing his eyes traveling along the wall. "You like that one?"

He nodded. "The way you captured Houston is extraordinary. The city looks beautiful in this frame."

"Thank you. I was in a helicopter," Luna said, slightly laughing as a memory of that moment flashed in her mind. "That was the only way I could go high and snap the shot I needed."

"Aerial photography is not easy, but you are a professional, and you have a good eye," he said, catching her gaze.

Taking a step back, Luna laid her items on an end table and turned around to face him. "Were you wanting to get your picture taken?"

He gave her a soft smile and shook his head. "Not right now."

"All right," she whispered. "Don't I know you? Aren't you one of Mera's friends who has come into town to visit her and the family?"

He shook his head. "I don't know who Mera is."

"I thought you probably knew her, and I had seen you at her café once. I assumed—"

"It's okay, miss."

"Right . . ."

Maybe the antique shop next door? she pondered. Or at Farmer's Market?

"Where is Mera from?" he asked her, breaking her thoughts.

Luna was reluctant to share this information with someone, but she figured maybe he'd want to visit Mera's business.

"She is from Pakistan," she answered. "She owns the restaurant across the street."

"The Indian café?"

Luna nodded.

"If she's from Pakistan, why name the restaurant after an Indian name?" he asked, curiously.

"It's to differentiate their style of food from the others on this block. We have an Italian bistro, a seafood place, a French restaurant, a Cajun restaurant, and then her café with Indian dishes. There's a bit of heaven for everyone."

He chuckled. "Is that how you think of the restaurants?"

"Each business sells something different. We never know where our tastebuds will take us," she replied, smiling.

The man's eyes traveled outside the window.

"What can I help you with, sir?"

He quickly turned around.

"I'm Amir Khan, and I'm from Pakistan. This is my first time visiting, and I'm lost."

She smiled. "It's so easy to get lost around here. My name is Luna Carlyle."