{Book Two} 81 | Heatwave

The Tethered Ones

Chapter 11

━━─── • ───━━━

• Luna •

As she rose from a heavy slumber, Luna was
first aware of the cool air and a sweet-smelling fragrance. The sound of birds chirping was strong, and the feeling of a soft breeze hitting her skin relaxed her. She couldn't recall falling asleep.

As she glanced around at her surroundings, she realized she wasn't in the same room as before. She was lying in what looked like a king-sized bed, with white silk sheets and several large pillows. It was a different bedroom. Where could she be?

Rolling onto her side, she struggled to keep her eyes open and hoped her fuzzy brain would clear. Her body felt like it had been pumped with heavy medication, and she couldn't focus on anything she'd set her eyes on.

Bright sunlight spilled in through the open glass windows with lacy, beige curtains dangling playfully. A soft sound echoed from the wind chime, and she brought her legs over the bed, then placed her feet on the floor.

Oh crap. 

Gasping, she ran her fingers through her hair, trying to recollect what had happened the night before.

Amir was with her, but he wasn't here now. Then she began to panic, thinking he was probably hooked up to a machine and Chase was doing whatever he wanted to him. Yesterday had now come back to her in a rush — running off; he had said he fought someone off of her, and that he discovered what this organization was up to. He declared that he'd never leave her side, yet, here she was alone.

Are they doing something to Amir? Was he reported? Her nerves went into overdrive. There was no telling when it came to Chase or Dr. Kim.

Her cheeks burned at the vague memory of a man's hand roaming over her breast, doing something to her. He'd definitely slipped something into her water bottle because she couldn't move or speak. That medication had kicked in moments before Amir barged through the door, then she heard an argument between them until it was brought out into the hallway. She wanted to stay awake and fight alongside her husband, but she couldn't. Her limbs were too weak.

Opening her eyes, she thought about her family. She wondered how they were doing. She wondered about their friends and allies and how things are going in this war-torn world. Vikram and Faisal had both confirmed they were planning a strategy to extract them, but she couldn't see how that would be possible. The organization had them where they wanted, and she was sure they'd —

"Good morning, Luna."

She figured she must've been in a heavy slumber after hearing Amir's voice. But then she was shocked when his dark head walked around the corner and smiled at her. "Are you hungry? I made breakfast." 

Her heart tripped.

I'm dreaming.

In her dream, her husband was in the kitchen. She felt pampered, but also confused. 

How could he be cooking without an audience?

Wouldn't people be observing his every move?