{Book Two} 96 | Voyage

∞ The Tethered Ones  ∞

Chapter 26

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna •

Speeding further down the road, Luna's nerves shook uncontrollably as they passed several parked vehicles. Traffic had built up slowly on whatever highway they were on, so she kept her focus straight ahead, praying no one from the house would come after them.

She wished that Lily was in the car, but she understood her reasoning for staying behind.

She should be with us, Luna thought. Anything could go wrong for her.

She shivered, holding back tears.

Luna kept replaying everything that they have endured. There was a super-scary group of Defectives out there that killed anyone in sight, and there was enough rage in each one of them to start a cataclysmic war upon ordinary humans. They were injected with many serums, and they had every reason to have so much hate. But did they need to take it out on people who weren't the cause of it?

Her stomach turned with another thought: What if the organization created a horrendous group of people who were far worse than the Defectives?

If they did, then the war, the real war, has yet to surface, and she knew the world was not ready for it. Neither were her allies. Everyone was about to embark on a centuries-old grudge nobody was involved in, and that frightened her.

Glancing at Amir, he stayed silent, lost in his little world. Both of them were going through so much and didn't need to have any more stress thrown on them.

Luna's mind went back to how she saved the little girl, and then how she stopped time. Lily said she knew others who had the same ability, and that baffled her.

What if something happened the next time she used her gift?

Here she was, traveling with her unconscious enemy and a guy she was using as a tool. They continued on their voyage to a place where families lived, to a place where traumatized Tethered Souls and ordinary humans had already been through enough, and she . . .

She was capable of anything.

Powers were limitless for her, and Amir.

She drew in a rocky breath and let it out.

One hour. That was all they had to make it to the entrance. Belle Chasse, Louisiana was only forty-five minutes away, but still, anything could go wrong. Being seen by others was dangerous, especially for them since their pictures and videos were plastered all over the internet.

Seconds ticked into minutes, and at some point, Amir had dozed off while she kept an eye on both of their passengers, sort of enthralled by their . . . differences? She had no idea why Ethan would work for Chase when he was such a nasty guy. Even though the sergeant had his flaws, he also had a heart. That was why she agreed to help him rescue his partner. She didn't have to go along with it, but she could see it in his eyes that he was sincere about freeing Kai.

What if that had been Amir and he was given a proposition to free her? She'd be heartbroken if he chose not to break her out. Although, she knew he would. He would never allow her to become afflicted by pain if he could help it. That was the reason he came to America because her soul mattered to him. And that was what she thought of when it came to Kai and Ethan. He was in the same boat as her, and she couldn't ignore his request, no matter what lay ahead.