65 | Wanted

Luna

[ P A R T  T W O]

━━━─── • ───━━━

Dashing out of the community, Luna peered back and checked to see if her family was still behind them. They were.

Amir reached for her seat belt and grinned. "I want to keep you safe, Moon."

"What about you?" There wasn't another seat belt on his side.

"I'll be okay."

"Are you sure?" Amir nodded.

"Did St. Matthew's ever tell you about their special serum they were formulating?" Colin asked Amir.

"I was shown a lot of things," he replied, swerving to the side when Colin hit a curve.

"Were you ever told about a certain serum that can eliminate the connection between Tethered Souls?" Colin asked as Faisal propped a foot on the dashboard. Luna hoped the airbag wouldn't deploy because her best friend was up there with him. "This serum can take out a pair's connection instantly. It's called The Elimination Serum. Chase nicknamed it 'Ellis'. A pair would be eliminated from each other, and from being a Tethered Soul altogether."

"What?" Luna's stomach ached. "Have they had any success?"

"Indeed, they have. Since we've left, my contacts have told me Dr. Kim barked orders at the lab techs to get it formulated."

Amir's eyes narrowed. "I never saw it. I saw the chemicals that were used to create the formula, but I thought nothing of it. I remember now how Chase checked on the status of the serum the first time I saw him. I didn't know what he was talking about."

"It's a new weapon they'll be using to capture our kind," Colin explained. "And it's dangerous. Not only has it eliminated a Tethered Pair, but it also ended up killing one soul in the experimental stage. It can hurt our brains, lungs, and heart. What they'll do is launch a group of tranquilizers with the E. L. S. liquid laced inside it."

Ice drenched her spine. "What happens if a soul is hit with one?"

"They'll pass out. You two will probably have nothing to worry about, considering you're a new breed of Souls they can have their fun with. But you need to understand something. If they bring these bad boys out, people can die, and we could have a catastrophic war on our hands. Tethered Souls is at war and always has been. Our powers are used as weapons. Especially for telekinetic people. They're the dangerous ones and are number one on the hospital's hit list."

Luna froze. She couldn't move, much less feel Amir's finger trailing up and down her skin. She felt paralyzed. The end was near, and many innocent people will die. Sarah's life was even more in danger.

"We can't let anything like that happen." Luna turned toward Amir. "We can't let anyone die."

"We won't." Amir's jaw clenched. "But we can't stay back there, either. We have to keep moving before we worry about anything else."

Her heart thumped as she looked at Colin. He didn't look so convinced and probably had intel on what was going on right now. She knew Amir was trying to comfort her and help calm her nerves, but guilt continued to pile on top of the terror that lies ahead. If anyone was killed . . .

"Stop," Amir whispered. "Let it go."

"How can I let it go?"

Amir didn't have an answer. The terror was like an endless wormhole, pulling her in its direction as they continued West toward Texas. Two hours later and a few souls from their group popped in the Hummer to check on them.