{Book Two} 89 | Proposition

∞ The Tethered Ones

Chapter 19

━━─── • ───━━

Luna

Early the next morning, Luna stood near a window in the living room as Amir started the coffee maker. After he healed her, she didn't feel any pain, and her stitches were barely visible. They were both terrified of what that meant.

What if healing her caused a ripple effect?

She had her superstitions, and he expressed his concern about his power. He explained that their enemies could use it against him, and neither of them could shake the feeling of what the organization had planned. Whatever it was, they knew it wouldn't be legal, or good.

Stepping onto the patio, she watched as two male scientists in a white sedan drive off, her heart frantic and a million other things. She didn't need to look behind her to know Amir had joined her. She welcomed the warmth and strength his arms provided as they circled her from behind.

Leaning, she stared out into the forest and studied the quickest route out of there. He placed his chin atop her head and minutes of silence passed with only the sound of a lonesome bird in the distance. Against her back, his heartbeat steady and arms secure.

"We won't be here much longer, Moon," he murmured.

"What do you have planned?"

He drew in a deep breath. "I'm still working on it. I just know that you will be leaving before the next weekend. Knowing that your psychotic ex is near you irritates me. I want to . . ." He cut himself off and bit his lip. "I want him to pay for his crimes. He had no right to go after you. No right." He paused for a moment and kissed the top of her forehead, and she grinned. "You're the best partner anyone could ask for. You don't deserve to be treated this way. And I mean that from everyone."

Her eyes met his, and she smiled. "Chase and this group will pay."

His arms tightened. "Once you're safe, I have to come back."

She pushed away and turned around, completely facing him. "Why?"

"My family." Several seconds of silence had passed. "Do you think Chase would tell me what he's done to them?"

"I don't know. He'll play games with you. He's incapable of giving straight answers."

"What if I heal him to speed things up? I could always put him back into a coma."

She laughed.

"What?"

She turned and faced the lawn, breathing in the fresh August air. "Chase is one sick bastard who isn't worthy of being healed. Either by medicine, God, or superhumans."

He lowered his neck, his chin now on her shoulder. "My parents are probably going out of their minds, and I wonder about my brother. And what about my other cousins and relatives? They all mean something to me, and he has them."

She turned her head toward his cheek. "I know. We'll search the globe. There has to be a trail he's left behind, right?"

"Maybe," Amir said, lowering his gaze. "But healing him would be easier. We can demand him to tell us what we want to know."