23 | Purgatory

━━━─── • ───━━━

Luna •

Sharp pain scattered through Luna's body, radiating down to her feet. Her heart raced faster as each minute passed, and she had no idea how much time had gone since she was last given a dosage of medication. She'd seen Faisal once, but he left to give Amir an update.

Shortly before leaving her side, she was given a dose of electric shock therapy. She figured the hospital wanted a stronger approach for her, considering the action she took with the needle. It was one shock, but she knew more treatments were scheduled. She was in her own personal purgatory.

But she was strong enough to endure whatever they throw her way. She had to stay strong, to fight for her daughter, for her family, for her companion.

The second Luna was strong enough, she entered a vacant bathroom and sobbed quietly.

Just a little while longer of this shit, she kept telling herself.

It dawned on her what was going on with Chase. He knew once she was released, she'd leave him. No human being would admit the woman they supposedly love to have inhumane torture implied on them. Amir would never do that to someone he loved.

A light knock was heard on the other side of the bathroom door.

"Miss. Carlyle, are you okay?"

Luna cleared her throat, wiping the sweat off her face.

"I'll be right out."

When she opened the door, two men in military clothes, each wearing a beret on their heads, stood on either side of the threshold. Both men were no more than thirty, and they each wore pistols and tasers strapped to their thighs.

"Where am I going?"

"I'm taking you to Dr. Kim's office," the nurse said.

"Am I having another treatment?"

"Miss, it would be better if you relinquish all questions until the doctor speaks with you. We have to move along," Khaki Beret said.

"Is it necessary to be escorted around here?"

Khaki Beret snorted a little but kept his eyes forward. But Green Beret looked at Luna like she insulted his ego.

"Ma'am, we need to keep moving," Green Beret insisted. "You are a threat to yourself and others on the property."

"I will do nothing. I promise."

"We can't risk that, Luna," the nurse said. "You could have harmed yourself or Dr. Kim last week. We don't want to take any chances."

More days had passed? What day is it?

They continued walking in a vacant hall when Luna's legs became wobbly. Without saying a word, Green Beret scooped her over his shoulder and carried her past several doors. Faisal returned and balled his fists, looking sad for her.

Along the way to the office, she noticed patients looking from their windows, shaking their heads. One woman with blonde and brown curly hair and light brown skin with the words "Camille Taylor, 28, Red Security" posted above her door stared at her. She then pushed her fingers to her lips, indicating for Luna to keep quiet. She was warning her about something and what not to say.

Thanks, sis.

Green Beret carried her until they stopped at the last door on the left, then he handed her a cup of water. She gulped it down quickly and burped, thrilled that it was water and nothing else. She didn't trust this place not to poison her.