{Book Three} 148 | Reinforcements

ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ Tethered ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ

Chapter 22

━━─── • ───━━━

Amir

"Zander?" Amir inhaled sharply and growled.

Titus exhaled and uttered, "Zander."

"The clown who was at your club?" Titus and Luna had found Amir in the faith center, and he didn't like where their plan was going. He despised Zander and his entire existence.

"Mm. Interesting." Titus tapped his cheek when he looked over to where Luna was seated at the table, and then shifted his eyes toward Amir's direction. "There were two clowns present. He was one of them, and so was—"

"Funny," Amir remarked.

"That's what I thought." Titus grinned as he sat down at the table. "Have you ever heard the expression 'beggars can't be choosers?'"

Amir's eyes narrowed. "We're not begging anyone."

"Hey!" Luna tucked her hair behind both ears. "What's so terrible about Zander?"

"Let's see." Amir pretended to ponder that one. "Zander is and always will be a part of BARDA."

Her dark eyes rolled. "That doesn't make him a monster."

"Moon, he's still unpredictable. I don't trust him."

"And you think he should have faith in you, A-Bomb?" Titus noted, and Amir groaned.

"Other than Zander's birthplace, what else do you hate about him?"

"Shouldn't that be enough?" That was sufficient for Amir's strong dislike of the guy. They both fought at first sight. That didn't make a good first impression.

Titus touched Luna's shoulder. "It makes no difference whether or not Amir likes Zander. The guy owes me a favor, and if anyone knows where all of our potential resistance fighters are hiding out right now, it's him."

"And we can trust him?" she inquired.

Amir laughed. Trusting somebody from BARDA? Yeah. Right.

Titus paid no attention to Amir's expression. "Zander wouldn't mess with me, not with so much at stake." He gave her a sinister grin.

Something stupid was on Amir's tongue, but it faded away like a thing of the past. He remembered Selena, the woman he'd seen with Zander at the club—a defenseless woman. There had most definitely been a relationship between the two, and Titus could have been taking advantage of that knowledge. Maybe he'd stashed her away or something.

"I've already spoken with him," Titus said, his arms stretched above his head like a cat in the light. "He's going to meet everyone in Chicago."

"Chicago?" Luna's voice was tinged with surprise. "How will we get there? By plane?"

He raised his head. "You'll need to drive there. BARDA has been able to detect anything in the air since the war began. It'll be tricky to fly."