{Book Three} 133 | Assassin

ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ Tethered ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ

Chapter 7

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna

Luna coughed out a dry, bitter laugh, barely paying attention to the door closing beside Sam as he waddled into the room. The staff's remarks about this fight being more acceptable suddenly made sense.

He frowned, coming to a stop in front of her. "You don't look so good."

The smoldering rage emerged. "And you're just now noticing it? You're well aware of what's going on here."

He ran his fingers through his hair when his gaze traveled over her face. "All you had to do, Lu-Lu, was kill Faisal. You're making it more difficult for yourself."

"I'm not-" She stopped as her rage intensified. Her energy twisted in her gut, and she felt the tiny hairs on her body stand. "You're about to die."

"Look at yourself." He gestured with his hand at her. "You could've avoided all of those bruises if you'd just cooperated."

She took a step closer, glaring at him. "If you hadn't shot Amir, I would've avoided all of this."

"No." Sam's face turned sad. "You two would have ended up here regardless."

"You're wrong," she said, circling him with her fists raised.

"You don't want to believe it."

She inhaled deeply, but the rage was getting the best of her. Sam reached for her shoulder, but she pushed his arm away. "Don't come near me."

He narrowed his eyes while he stared at her. "As I said before, if you want to be angry at anyone, make it your father. Or Amir. They did this to you."

That was the final straw.

All of her bottled-up resentment and anger raged through her like a category-five hurricane. Her brain switched off, and she lunged without thinking. Her fist had only grazed his jaw, but her energy had roared up at the same time. Sam was spun around by a bolt of light that shot from her hand.

He caught himself on the wall, letting out a surprised laugh. "Damn. That was strong."

Energy surged down her spine, fusing with her bones. "How dare you blame my family for this? It's not their fault!"

He shifted his weight and slumped backward. He wiped the blood from his lip with the back of his hand. He pushed off the wall with a strange gleam in his eyes. "This is their fault."

Another bolt of energy shot forward when she flung her arm out, however, he dodged it, laughing as he whirled around, arms out at his sides. "You can't do better than that?" he teased. "Come on. I know you, Moon."

She lost it when Amir's pet name was spoken by Sam. He was on her in an instant. She darted to the corner, ignoring her muscles' painful protests. His arm spread wide, and a whitish-red beam sizzled. She swerved at the last second to avoid a direct hit.

She sent another blast arcing across the room, hitting him in the neck.

He stumbled and fell, a hand dropping to his knees as he crouched. "Someone's rusty."