{Book Two} 77 | DNA

The Tethered Ones

Chapter 7

━━━─── • ───━━━

Amir •

Quietly stepping into the hall, Amir was met with Sergeant Trent standing two inches behind him. "What the hell have you been up to?"

Amir stepped around him and laid a hand on the railing of the stairs. "It's your business . . . because?"

"Just answer my question."

Amir turned around and eyed the door to the office. "I was watching the news."

The sergeant's mouth dropped open. "You can watch the news in the guest house, where you sleep."

"I'm sure he was doing something else," Nurse Smith said as she exited a room down the hall. "He just came out of the office connected to our very important patient. Luna doesn't need to be disturbed."

Amir stiffened. "I didn't bother her. Now, if you two will excuse me . . ."

The sergeant's eyes narrowed. "You're up to something, and I'm going to find out what it is."

"What is your problem?"

"I'm assigned to monitor her. That's my problem, Amir."

"Yeah, Mr. Khan. You and Luna better not be getting . . . cozy," she remarked. "Chase can't have that."

"To hell with him, and to hell with both of you," he grumbled under his breath.

What was with these people and their meddling?

Amir was baffled by them. 

As the sergeant and Nurse Smith chatted amongst themselves, Amir was singing a song in Urdu, desperately trying not to think about kissing his wife. But he must've failed when Sergeant Trent's mouth shut and he turned away.

Nurse Smith looked over at him. "Is everything okay, Ethan?"

Shaking his head, he muttered, "Whatever. This ain't my drama."

He'd read Amir's mind. Amir hoped the nurse didn't pick up on anything, because then he wouldn't know how to cover it up. He knew she hated Luna, and she wasn't the most delightful person to be around.

"There you are, Amir," Dr. Kim said, stepping inside the house from the front door. "Did you find everything you needed upstairs?"

He nodded. "Yes, sir, I did. Thank you for letting me use the computer."

"Of course. Please come with me. There's something I'd like to show you in my study."

Sergeant Trent and Nurse Smith gave him a look. Nurse Smith was the most curious, but Amir shook his head, trying not to give anything away. He knew he needed to keep it together and pay attention to whatever he was shown. He realized he was in the midst of enemy lines when Luna informed him that everyone was a criminal. He didn't want to take any chances and freak out, knowing the staff could pump him the same medication as they do for her. That wouldn't help him, and it certainly wouldn't help either of them leave this place.

Approaching a closed door, Dr. Kim turned to Amir. "Once I show you why you came to our institution, maybe then you'll understand what we're about."

Maybe, he thought, but Amir still obliged. When the door opened, it revealed a large, round room with four doctors and two nurses. As he stepped forward, he immediately winced at the smell of antiseptic, as the sight and scent brought a wave of memories back into his mind. Memories of when he was in medical school.