{Book Three} 135 | Angel

ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ Tethered ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ

Chapter 9

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna

Luna wished she could tell Amir everything about Faisal, but she didn't know how. She didn't want to ruin the happy moment they were both having. Her actions had already haunted her. Fear and shame kept her silent. Killing the guards and staff at St. Matthew's was one thing. Even in self-defense, they managed to shoot at her, but Faisal? That had been an act of anger toward someone else and nothing more. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

How could Amir look at me the same way when he knew I was a murderer? Because I had murdered his cousin.

She hadn't felt any different since that incident in terms of becoming more powerful and close to being activated as a Trojan. What if she had to kill more than one person to be activated? She realized the organization had most likely attempted to activate her from their hands. But she appeared to be tough and resilient. Maybe a little too strong. They have no power over her.

"Are you okay, Moon?" Amir asked.

"Yeah," she said, holding his hand as they followed the staff to another area of the underground facility. She needed to keep holding him, reminding herself that as long as he was there, she could get through anything. She wished they'd had more time together earlier, but she'd take what they could get.

She came to a halt in the middle of the white corridor and lifted her hand, tracing his lower lip with the pad of her finger. Amir's jaw flexed, and his eyes brightened. Her heart did a funny little cartwheel, and he closed those beautiful eyes, his face tensing. She began to pull her hand back, but he caught her arm.

"Don't." He inhaled a breath. "Your touch is the best feeling in the world."

"It's just that there's a lot to talk about and . . ." She trailed off, not sure of how to explain it.

A lopsided grin appeared on his face. "We'll talk later. Let's just get through this, okay?"

"Yes, Mrs. Khan," Major Thibeau piped up, causing her to jerk. "We have work to do."

Luna rose to her tiptoes and kissed Amir.

They were led to a medical floor and into a room that could accommodate two patients. Dr. Reynolds was waiting for them, his face enthused as he hooked them up to devices.

"I've been looking forward to seeing what you can do, Amir," he said, his voice high-pitched.

His brow furrowed. "Great. Another groupie. They're everywhere."

Luna muttered, "Only you would revel in that."

He shot her a grin.

Color emphasized the doctor's cheeks. "It's not often that we have a patient like you. We thought Faisal would be bigger and better, but we were mistaken."

Amir's face darkened. "You worked with my cousin?"

Uh oh.