46 | Headlights

━━━─── • ───━━━

Luna •

Warm, soothing water washed Luna. She spun repeatedly before stopping and anxiously touching her face. Her hands shook uncontrollably. Even after she used every drop of the small shampoo bottle and an immense amount of conditioner, her hair still wasn't clean. The longer she bathed, the dirtier she still felt. And she knew she had to leave soon.

But she couldn't resist. Luna wanted the water to wash away the memories of the night before. She loved the perfect bubble shower and shaved her body to let time pass.

She finished her shower as slowly as she could while gulping. She moved fast in the hospital. The patients had to bathe quickly. They got in trouble for staying too long. Chase called it "learning to adapt." As she dried herself, she wiped him away with her towel.

She and Amir were out. Yet they weren't free. Chase disappeared. Neither of them had a plan for what to do next. For her, Amir risked everything. She was his life. Even though he didn't have to, he fought for her freedom.

And she was grateful.

She wondered if Faisal had given Cami and Darren the antidote. They must have agreed to be test subjects. Luna couldn't bear losing Cami. From the moment she saw her, she was her best friend.

Holding onto her towel, Luna crossed into the room. Amir faced the window with his back to her. He turned and peered at her from head to waist.

He paused and asked, "Is everything . . . okay?"

She smiled. "Yes. I'm sure there's some hot water left."

One side of his lips curved up. "Know what day is coming up?" Luna shook her head, and Amir gestured at the desk. "Seventh of July."

"Oh God," Luna whispered, upset that she hadn't thought of it before. "I've been so . . . so caught up in that place's chaos. I didn't remember my birthday. I forgot our birthday."

Amir stayed silent.

"I didn't think about it or care. I would have spent my birthday in that hellhole if you and Decker hadn't freed me. If you never flew over here, as you did . . ."

"You had a lot to think about," he interjected.

"But it's a big deal," Luna continued, her lips quivering. "Amir, you sacrificed yourself for me. You almost didn't have a birthday, either."

He tensed and glanced at her before returning to the window. "Everything is fine. Let's think about the future, shall we?" She nodded as he spoke. "I will go into the bathroom while you change. Give you some privacy."

"You're amazing, A."

"So are you. I'd do anything for you, Moon."

Before Amir went into the bathroom, Luna bit her lip. "Amir . . ." He peered around the corner at her with heavy eyebrows. "I only wanted to say thanks. For everything."

He rushed forward and cupped her cheeks. She inhaled as he dropped his forehead to look at her. "Don't thank me. I love you. I couldn't take you being inside those walls any longer. They'll pay for hurting you and others. No matter what, I had to get you out."

"You didn't have to risk your safety," she said. "You know that your life is just as important."

He kissed and held her sore forehead. "To save you, I flew here. Listen, I need to clean up. I hate hugging you like this. I placed drinks and snacks on that counter. Eat and relax."