{Book Two} 90 | Compromise

∞ The Tethered Ones

Chapter 20

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna

In a daze, Luna stayed next to the refrigerator, thinking about what Sergeant Trent had said. She couldn't believe he guilt-tripped her into helping him free his partner. He was insane. She wondered how they would leave the property and go to another location that housed Kai and Amir's family. None of them could just walk up to the gate and say, "I'm going out for groceries. I'll be back soon."

That wouldn't work. The sergeant must have had a plan to leave the area and she wished he explained it. She didn't care to rescue his brother-in-law, only her husband's relatives, but they have no choice. Their backs were against the wall.

At first, he seemed genuine with his offer and was scared of being spotted. And he sounded like there was a lot at stake, more than he let on. Why would he want their assistance? Why wouldn't he try to break his partner out since he was in deep with this organization?

Then, it dawned on her.

Her powers.

Combining them with Amir's abilities, both of them would be astronomical. They could do some extraordinary things that most Tethered Souls haven't achieved. And if they didn't do what he asked, then he'd run off and tell Dr. Kim about her being healed. She thought that everybody knew she was okay, but that turned out to not be the case. She didn't like his proposition, not if it came with extra baggage.

She knew, though, that she couldn't exactly refuse his demands. Declining what he wanted would do more damage than good. 

Strolling toward the bathroom, she'd made it halfway before the patio door swung open and Amir burst through.

His incredible chestnut eyes bored into her as he took four ground-eating steps her way and grasped her shoulders. "He better not have done anything to you," he commanded, jaw clenched.

She swallowed, knowing his reaction was going to be elevated in a few minutes. "He didn't."

"What did he want?"

"Ethan . . . Ethan wanted to talk."

Amir went rigid. "Without me being here?"

Luna slowly lifted his fingers off of her shoulders, and then stepped away toward the door. "He came over with a proposition."

Spotting two bags next to the door, she lowered her waist and picked them up. "It's not a fair proposal, either."

Joining her, Amir helped place the items on the breakfast table. "He has a death wish."

Placing a box package of pasteurized cheese on the top shelf inside the fridge, he asked, "What the hell did he want?"

And here comes the bomb, she thought. "He knows where your family is."

"Come again?"

"He will make a trade. For you to free your people, he wants our help in freeing his brother-in-law."

Amir whipped around so fast she was sure he pulled a muscle. "What's he got to do with us?"

Clearing her throat, she grabbed a bottle of water and gulped it quickly. "His name is Kai; they're partners."

He shook his head. "I can't believe him."

Standing next to the stove, she explained to him as smoothly as she could what the sergeant said, leaving out the part where he'll turn on them if they decline his offer. She figured that was best discussed later. Good call, because Amir went almost full Terminator mode immediately.