{Book Two} 124.2 | Abducted II

The Tethered Ones

Chapter 54.2
(Extended Ending)

━━─── • ───━━━

Amir

"Enough!" Titus roared.

Amir was plastered against one side of the club the next second, and Zander was on the other, many feet above the ground. The Engineered Soul's expression was identical to his. Both guys strained against the invisible grasp, but neither of them could get free.

Titus stepped into the middle of the room. "Guys, I don't have all day. I have stuff to do. A nap I want to take before three. An episode of Doctor Who I've been dying to catch up on. And a goddamn Domino's coupon for a double pepperoni pizza screaming my name." He exhaled and turned to face Zander. "You'd feel a lot better if you two could sing 'Amazing Grace.' You should be mates."

"Don't I get a say?" Amir huffed out.

"Listen." Titus looked at Amir, his eyes furrowed. He looked to be much older than he'd ever been. "I read your mind. And you think I'm involved in Luna's kidnapping? You're mistaken."

Amir scowled. "And I should believe you just like that?"

"Do I actually give a shit whether you believe me or not? General Davenport abducted her. That man is a psycho."

"He has her stashed away somewhere. All I want is to find her."

"I warned you about placing all your eggs in one basket." Titus breathed deeply. "Davenport, a BARDA official, oversees Salvation Estate, which masquerades as a fun-loving community and a haven for Tethered Souls. Many of them exist all over the world and appear to be beautiful on the outside but have a darker essence on the inside."

The grip on Amir eased, and he slid down the wall, landing on his feet. As he stared back at Titus, he immediately felt betrayed. "How come you didn't tell us?"

"Because even if you knew what they were doing, both of you would have stayed in the community. It was secure. Luna and I had even discussed it, well, not the community, but what she had been keeping from you since Davenport granted her access to his thoughts." He took a deep breath and then continued. "Let me ask you a question. Would you kill to get her back if it came down to it?"

"Of course. That's my wife and the mother of our daughter you're talking about."

"Wait." Zander moved forward, his eyes focused on Amir. "If the general has taken your wife, you may not see her again," he said. "That man does some fuc—"

"You! Shut up! The adults are talking!" Titus fixed his shirt and looked forward. "Go to my office, Zander, and we'll finish talking about the favor you owe me."

Zander shrugged awkwardly, and a second later, he was standing on the floor, as charming as a viper.

Titus gave them both a sinister look. "I understand you two have some really crazy—big—issues, but guess what? You are not the only superhuman who is in distress. There are greater problems than what you're struggling with. Yeah, I know, it's breaking news."

Titus's head twisted toward him, and Amir couldn't believe he was in a room with a malevolent superhuman and not killing him—but The Being wasn't either. "You should be thankful that I like you, Zander," Titus said quietly. "I need to speak with His Highness for a minute. Can you please go do something? If not, perhaps you could help me by cleaning my bathrooms?"

Zander shrugged his shoulders. "Yeah, I have my issues." He turned back into the hall before pausing to look at Amir. "Catch ya later."

Amir sneered and turned away.