{Book Two} 115 | Aftermath

The Tethered Ones

Chapter 45

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna •

Luna's muscles spasmed uncontrollably as waves of agony washed over her. She could hear panicked voices from a distance, and she tried to understand what they were saying. Nothing made sense except the deep, slicing pain from Hisyl fragments shooting out of another set of nozzles.

Her anguish increased as strong hands gripped her arms. Her mouth opened and she let out a hoarse gasp. She was then lifted and pressed against something warm and solid, and then she recognized the scent of pine. 

Amir.

Then they took off running.

The wind howled and roared into her ears because they were moving so fast. Her eyes were open, but everything was dark as her skin was flayed open with tiny blades.

She thought she heard Cami and Dominique's shocked cries when they slowed down, and then someone said lake. They were on the run once more, and Luna had no idea where Faisal was or if anyone had grabbed him on the other side of the door.

All she could feel was the pain coursing through her body, her pulse racing and her heart pounding.

It felt like days before they stopped again, but she knew it had to be minutes. Her body was, then, surrounded by damp, cold air that smelled like sewage.

"Please, hold on." Amir's voice was harsh. "You'll be cold, but the shards are all over your clothes and hair. Don't leave me."

Don't leave. Don't leave. Stay alive for me, Moon. Don't go.

She couldn't respond, and she reasoned that if it was all over her, it had to be all over him. It had to be on him the entire two-mile journey from the facility to Lake Ramsey. She figured he must be in pain, but he was taking care of her.

After moving forward and sliding a few feet down, Amir prayed softly. The shock of icy water hit her legs moments later, and despite the pain, she scrambled to his body to escape, but he kept going out farther, and the ice hit her waist.

"Please, stay with me," Amir begged. "You can't leave me and Sarah. I won't let you die."

Then they went under, and her breath was stolen once more. The sediment in the musty water was stirred up by her vigorous shaking, and her hair floated around her face, nearly blinding her. But the Hisyl's fire . . . It was diminishing.

Arms tightened around her before being propelled upward. As her head broke the surface, she drew in lungfuls of air. Stars cartwheeled and blurred as he lifted them from the water to the surface.

Water splashed a few feet away, and as her vision cleared, Owen and Vikram dragged Faisal out of the water, laying him on the ground. Ethan sat down next to him, running his hands through his soaked hair, and narrowing his eyes.

Luna's heart sank. Did Faisal...?

Faisal threw an arm across his face and bent one leg. "Damn."

Her knees buckled under the weight of relief. Amir placed his hands on her cheeks and turned her face to his. Dark eyes pierced hers.

"Are you all right?" he muttered. "Speak, Moon, please. Tell me you're okay."

She forced her trembling lips to move. "I . . . I am."

Confounded, he shook his head and threw his arms around her, squeezing her tightly.