35 | Heartbeat

Thank you to each Soul who is reading my work!!! You are appreciated!

━━━─── • ───━━━

Amir •

Amir was five seconds away from snapping someone's neck.

He could feel something surging through Luna somewhere inside the facility. The staff was giving her shocks around her forehead and it caused him to have a headache. He was trying to listen to what Dr. Kim was explaining to him about each patient under his wing, but whatever they were doing to Luna was distracting. She closed off their connection, but not enough for him to sense her insides frying like they were on a stove.

Who knew how many hours had passed since she was put in complete isolation? Amir just knew he hadn't spoken to her since he revealed about Vikram being a Tethered Soul, which was three weeks ago.

Coming into St. Matthew's as a volunteer geneticist was tricky and nearly impossible. Amir was supported by biologist Tahir Malik, who alerted Dr. Kim about his skills. Mr. Malik, his investor for several years, briefed colleagues about Amir's work ethic and desire to work in America. 

Of course that was far from the truth. He quickly updated his passport and work visa, intending to track down one person and make sure she was free of her suffering.

Why do you have to leave now?" Farooq asked Amir as he continued packing his things. He was at Amir's house when he felt Luna's soul shattering.

"It's just something that I have to do."

"I don't get it, but okay. You want anyone to go with you?" 

Amir raised an eyebrow. "Are you offering to keep me company?" 

Farooq shrugged and smiled. "I don't have work for another three days. Why not?" 

Amir's bedroom door opened slowly, and Faisal popped in.

"Hey man, sorry for barging in," he murmured in the doorway. "I knocked several times, then used your spare key behind the light switch. Are you going somewhere?" 

"Amir decided that he's just going to up and leave for America," Farooq said as he stood near the window.

Faisal's mouth dropped open. "What? Are you serious, bro?"

Amir nodded.

Farooq scoffed. "I don't understand. Why now?" 

"Dude, trust me, you wouldn't. But I understand why, and I'm excited for our cousin," Faisal said, walking over to Amir, and giving him a light hug. "Are you going alone?"

"No," he said, shifting his gaze between both of them. "I'm hoping you'll come along, Faisal." 

"Yeah, man. I'll run home and grab my things," Faisal replied, with a jolly grin on his face. "Aluna will be united."

Farooq raised an eyebrow as Amir and Faisal both chuckled.

Amir shook his head, breaking himself out of his memory while he was escorted to a laboratory on the first floor. 

Dr. Kim wasn't there, and Amir then got acquainted with the lab techs. They showed him a few patients who either had their heads hanging low and not making eye contact with anyone, or they rested at the table.

He went along with everything and conducted full exams of the patients he was introduced to. 

One patient who was eighteen and needed help, according to the information Amir was given about her, kept staring at him. He turned away and glanced around at the thirty people in the room, sensing Luna somewhere nearby.