{Book Two} 116 | Synchronized

∞ The Tethered Ones

Chapter 46

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna •

"Beautiful," Amir said, emerging from the dim hallway.

"What is?" Luna's brows rose.

He gave her a face. "Do you even have to ask?"

"Yeah. I wasn't sure if you were talking about the drain or something."

He laughed. "Everything is ready. I even found a box of candles." Amir lit a few of them and placed them around the room. "I have a surprise for you. The water is warm."

"Really?" Luna scooted to the edge of the bed and gaped. "You have to explain how that is possible."

He gave her a sly grin. "I have my ways." Amir carried one of the lanterns into the bathroom and set it on the counter. "I tried out a skill of mine."

Her mouth dropped open. "What?"

"You remember when we were fighting those Defectives at Dr. Kim's?" The water turned on, drowning out whatever else he was saying as he sat on the ledge of the bath.

"Yeah?" She stood up, her steps a little wobbly as she made her way to the doorway.

"I absorbed their electric power." The lantern didn't do much to combat the darkness of the small room, but it did cast interesting shadows along the back of his shoulders.

"We both did."

"That's right." Amir reached over and turned the water off. "Do you want to watch how I do this?"

She took a step behind him, shuffling forward. "How are you going to heat it?"

"It's like boiling water," he said, placing his hand in what had to be freezing temperatures. A faint burst of white light powered down his arm as he lazily trailed his hand through the water. "That's it. There you go."

She squinted as she heard the gentle rumble of water and saw bubbles spring forth from his fingers before she could speak. "Amazing."

He drew his hand back. "I don't know why I hadn't thought of it since we arrived, but oh well, we can have hot water whenever we want it."

She smiled and kissed him on the cheek. "Thank you, A."

"And here I thought I'd be called, 'Mister.'"

"I could always address you as 'Sir.'"

His brow arched. "You have no idea what went through my head. It was undoubtedly a filthy place."

While holding a candle, she bit her lip. "Then let it be."

Amir rose fluidly, and with Luna so close to him, there was very little space between them. She had to crane her neck way back to see his eyes. She felt nervous all of a sudden. Not the bad kind, but a strange mix of hope and anticipation. She yearned for . . .

She wasn't sure what she yearned or wanted other than him, and she could tell he was about to leave the bathroom to give her space.

"Show yourself," she blurted, and his brow creased. Her cheeks flushed as she shifted from one foot to the next. "Your aura. I'd like to see you bring it out."

"Hm. Moon wants to play hide-in-seek."

She smirked and playfully jabbed at his arm. "You know I wasn't trying to be filthy."