{Book Two} 82 | Telepathy

The Tethered Ones

Chapter 12

━━─── • ───━━━

Amir •

Amir went quiet. Luna just stared at him.

He couldn't believe she thought their moment was nothing but a dream. But maybe she felt that way because . . . Simon had given her an unknown medication?

He shook his head so he didn't have to think about what that man had done. Waltzing into the room his wife laid defensively in, catching him crouching over her, angered him. Amir was close to moving Luna off his lap and finding Simon, then slam his fist into his cheek.

But he chose to stay settled down instead. Luna, the one woman who meant the world to him, even though he didn't remember his life with her, continued to stare at him like he was a ghost.

"Say something," he pleaded. "Please?"

She didn't make a sound for a moment longer, then he pushed her off his lap and waited for her reply.

"This . . ." she uttered, facing him. "This is real? You woke up and decided to make us . . . breakfast?"

Okay. That's not what I expected to come from her lips, he thought, but then nodded.

"How do I know this isn't a dream?"

"It's not," he answered. "Why do you think you're dreaming?"

"Because the house is quiet. If no one is in there, then why aren't we making a run for it?" she asked, and then he laid his hands on his hips, looking away.

She made a point.

"I thought of that, too. I want to run, but there's a problem."

"A problem?"

He cleared his throat. "Dr. Kim's home is on a large plantation. About fifty acres wide," he explained, then turned toward the trees behind the guest house. "About thirty yards in that direction is twenty or so miles heading into New Orleans, and in the other direction has one road going in and out. It stretches at least a hundred feet. And some soldiers are monitoring the entrance."

When he whipped back around, her face went pale. "So we're stuck here," she mumbled. "There's no way out."

Without a moment of hesitation, Amir stepped forward and curled his fingers around her cheeks, lightly caressing them.

He didn't know how to bring her hope that he has an escape plan, and all he could do to ease her worries was lightly touching her skin.

"We'll figure something out," he said, lifting her chin. Her eyes became a glossy red color, and tears continued to pour out of her. "Oh, Luna . . ."

He wanted to tell her something to let her know they will flee from that place, but no words could come out. He just kept his mouth shut, because at that point all she could do was sob. He knew there had been so many tears she'd already shed, but he could sense the essence of her soul-shattering in agony. All he knew to do was guide her to his chest and hold her, making sure she felt his heart pounding for her.