{Book Three} 136 | Lazarus I

ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ Tethered ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ

Chapter 10

━━─── • ───━━━

Amir

Amir was seconds away from picking up Luna, throwing her over his shoulder, and running. But then guns clicked and safeties went off in the hallway.

Alisha knelt and returned her gaze to one of the guards. "Take them back to their rooms." She paused, staring at the major. "We must deal with this." Then they were both out of the room.

Amir looked at Greer. "What exactly is going on?"

The soldier gave him a look that said he was stupid for asking. Amir scowled. "Can't you talk?"

"Why aren't the alarms and defense system coming on?" Luna questioned, cautiously stepping around to face Greer.

The other soldier moved in closer. "You two ask too many questions and need to learn to be quiet. Especially the lady."

Luna blinked.

That was all it took for Amir to have the stocky man by the neck and pinned to the wall.

Her eyes lit up.

"And you need to learn how to speak to ladies with some manners," he snarled.

"Amir!" Luna screeched, and he braced himself for the hisyl.

But it never shot out.

The organization seemed like they didn't want anything to come on, and that fathomed him.

Amir took a step back after removing his fingers from the gasping soldier's throat one by one. The man leaned against the wall, hunched. Greer stood quietly.

"Are you just going to stand there?" he questioned Greer. "What the hell, bro? I thought we had each other's backs."

Greer shrugged. "Amir taught you a lesson. You should be more courteous to others."

Amir stared at both men as if he was about to snap their necks. When Luna came to his side, he resisted and squeezed her hand.

He looked around before lowering his head and brushing his lips across her temple. Her shoulders shook, and he kissed her hand, hoping to soothe her.

"We need to move as carefully as possible," the second guard explained. "We can get to the elevators that way," he added, pointing to the right side.

The walk back to their cells was quiet up until the moment Greer said, "Nope. You two aren't going to stay behind and watch the action."

Amir whirled on him. "Why is that?"

"Our orders were to return you to your rooms. Not to go parading around and getting yourselves into situations you shouldn't be in." He entered Luna's room code. "Guys, don't make this difficult. If you do, all they'll do is take you to a lower level that isn't as close to the top. The third floor is where we are. Think about it."