{Book Three} 172 | Studio

ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ Tethered ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ

Chapter 46

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna

Luna hadn't been to her photography studio in so long, and she had almost forgotten where it was. After passing Dillard University, she remembered the exit.

Her nerves settled after a ten-minute chat with Liberty and a prayer session with Amir. Both of them enjoyed praying together as faith in God brought them closer.

They filled up at the only gas station operational. Amir stayed by the car while Luna went inside to use the restroom and get snacks for the road trip later. That took a couple of minutes because there was no line. She was fortunate to find a hundred-dollar bill in her dresser to use for whatever they needed.

The roads and homes near the small business were in horrible shape, but she knew they would improve with time, which made her feel optimistic about the future.

She was carrying food that would make them both gain ten pounds when a country cruiser pulled up to the gas station. With darkened windows, it passed them slowly.

Despite the warm air, Luna shuddered and raced to where Amir was closing the gas tank latch. "Do you see that patrol car?" she asked.

When she dumped half of her unhealthy treats from her arms, Amir cast a glance behind him.

"Yeah. Do you sense something is off about them?"

Maybe she was just being paranoid? Luna shook her head. "I'm not sure. It gave me the chills. It was as if whoever was behind the wheel was staring at us."

Amir opened the passenger side door while watching the police car. Dressed in black pants and a tight shirt, her husband looked like he was ready to fight.

She jumped in, and the door of the police car opened. A big, older cop forced himself out of the car and into the convenience store without looking back.

Luna smiled up at Amir, letting out the breath she had been holding. "It was just me and my junk food appetite."

He laughed and closed the door. "Perhaps. If anyone was after us, I don't think they'd waste an opportunity to get us."

The weird feeling disappeared when they ate on the side road. She was hungry again after breakfast earlier. Amir driving with one hand and holding hers on the way to the French Quarter relaxed her.

She knew coming out there was risky, but she needed to move on. She was mentally prepared to leave the studio and her home behind.

They saw superhumans several times during the drive, but they were okay.

Amir's senses were heightened twelve blocks from Dauphine Street, near the studio. Bile entered Luna's stomach as they drove down St. Bernard Avenue toward their destination.

Her squeezed her thigh. "You're anxious."

"I can't help myself."

"Maybe we should turn around."

Luna gave him a look. "It's too late now. We'll only be there for a few minutes. I'll be quick."

"Whatever you want to do, you must act quickly." Amir navigated his way into the left lane. "Chase's spies could be anywhere. We don't have much time."