{Book Two} 86 | Checkpoint

The Tethered Ones

Chapter 16

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna

Standing under the sprinkler, the shower water came on like a perfect rain, warm and steady, and cascaded over Luna's skin in all the right ways.

When she bathed, it was like her little cocoon; a place for relaxation and self-care.

Her smile grew as she thought of the last twenty-four hours. Her husband had her under his protection, and he was slowly coming back to the realization of their life together. She didn't know what tomorrow brought, but she was sure as hell thankful she was cooped up under Chase and Dr. Kim's watchful eyes with Amir. She wouldn't be able to endure this place without him being there for her, even when his mind was practically blank.

Let's make new memories together, he told her.

She wanted to do just that from the moment he uttered those words. Of course, it would be better and less restrictive if they were in a safe house with Sarah. She couldn't wait for him to get to know their daughter again and see her face light up whenever he was in the room.

Rinsing her scalp, she thought about her telekinesis. It wasn't some party trick one saw at a magic show. It was an ability that could be valuable for her survival. She needed to get a handle on it and use it properly and for the right reasons. She didn't quite comprehend how it worked, but then again, who asked a plant how it developed?

She accepted it as a natural ability and hoped she'd understand it before she ended up causing more havoc in the world.

Stepping out of the shower, she quickly threw on an oversized shirt Amir had grabbed for her that probably came from Dr. Kim's wife. After getting dressed, she quickly opened a hygiene kit and brushed her teeth. She smiled to herself, grateful that Amir thought of her needs.

Spotting a book on the floor, she swiped it up and headed for the bedroom. She hadn't read a novel in forever and figured it was a quick way to pass time. The news channels were full of depressing images of calamity, and she didn't want to watch that.

Flipping over the book, she read the blurb and laughed a little, reminiscing the time she started to write her story about learning who she was. She even gave it a title and summary, adamant about writing a novel. Stepping through the doorway, she looked toward the bed.

Her heart pounded when her eyes collided with Chase's.

The book slipped from her thin fingers, landing on her toes. If there was any pain radiating in her foot, she didn't feel it. Her focus was on being alone in a room with her mortal enemy, his phone in his hand.

She was so relieved to be fully clothed. He was the creepiest person alive.

Bringing his legs to the side, Chase sat up. "I take it you weren't expecting me?"

Of course, she wasn't. She thought he was in the meeting in the main house, the one that Amir was attending. She was wondering what was happening in there, but she knew she'd get her answers later.

"Why are you here?" she asked, wrapping her arms around her waist.

Chase stared back for a long moment before exhaling a breath. "You know the answer to that. You're here. No other explanations needed."