{Book Two} 73 | Revelation 🔥

The Tethered Ones

Chapter 3

━━━─── • ───━━━

Luna

Standing quietly, listening to Chase gloat about what they'd done, Luna grumbled. When she opened her mouth, she immediately closed it as a tall brunette dressed in a tight black skirt and pressed white shirt cleared her throat.

"It'll be interesting to see what all of them can do," she said, stepping around his left side, and staring at the screen. "Not everyone's powers activate at the same time, though."

"You're right, Sadi," he said, meeting her gaze. "This is happening in the largest cities around the world, in many states and countries. I'm sure Tethered Souls who have lived underground or undetected will come out now. They have to have food and water to survive. When they resurface, we'll be there to collect them. They're our special ones."

"Some of those people could be destructive. Like Luna." The woman then laid a hand over his shoulder, bringing her chin down. "We should focus on who's more powerful than her."

Chase shook his head. "Nobody is more powerful than Luna. She's a Pure Soul by genetics, and she is linked with Amir. We'll move to a more suitable location and test their abilities together. Somewhere they can't escape from." 

"Luna!" Nurse Smith exclaimed, causing her heartbeat to accelerate.

Meeting her stare, she replied, "What!"

Glancing back into the room, her stomach turned as she saw all eyes on her, including Chase's. The nurse then scurried quickly toward her and reached for her upper arm, ushering her away from the opened door. "You shouldn't be standing there."

Pulling her limb free, Luna huffed. "You don't have to drag me. I can walk on my own."

"Apparently, you can't," she replied. "You don't know how to stay close and not go snooping around."

"Aw. Do I sense somebody has a girl crush on me? I'm flattered. Truly."

"I don't have time for your petty remarks, Luna. We need to get you fed and move forward with our itinerary."

Crossing into the kitchen, she took a seat at the counter and observed the rustic-style interior. Spotting the newspaper spread out, she glanced at the nurse as she began preparing a pot of Mac and Cheese, stirring the noodles slowly. "So, we are being blamed for the destruction of the world?"

Nurse Smith snickered. "You and Amir helped open a lot of closed doors. By doing that," she stopped speaking for a moment as she reached for a bowl, then continued, "you did our organization a favor. Many people have abilities that our scientists need to understand, and now they can't hide. The hunters can sense them."

"Not if they have protection and someone who is a shield, like me."

"They'll still get caught either way. No one can hide forever. You know that, Luna."

While she had been fixed on keeping an eye on the nurse, her gaze wandered to the newspaper's article on the front page. Journalists across the globe had been reporting what happened on the highway as 'a strange phenomenon.' And everyone in the world was trying to make sense of it.