{Book Two} 106 | Threat

∞ The Tethered Ones

Chapter 36

━━─── • ───━━━

Amir

Luna was quiet when they walked out of Davenport's home. Her features were still frantic and her gaze was distant but glowing.

A congregation of thick, gray clouds lit up the morning sky, each of them covering the presence of the sun. Amir figured the locals found the weather to be on the humid side, but to him, he was used to the sweltering heat. It was the kind of weather perfect for a midday jog.

A pang of desire lit up his chest. He missed the rush of exercising freely. It was such a thrill. If he could run now, he wouldn't stress or care about what the next hour would bring, let alone the next week or month. Every part of him, from his fists curled at his sides to his shoes slamming on the ground, would be focused on the destination he'd set his heart on. Exercising was his way of pushing the anxiety of everyday life and enjoying the peaceful moments he received. Even though he and Luna had to run for their lives, he still felt comfortable when he could sprint.

Right now, his legs itched to scurry the community and check the place out. But he didn't want to do that just yet.

She needed him.

And he needed her.

He didn't even have the right shoes to go jogging in. The sneakers he remembered bringing to America were still at Dr. Kim's, a place he never wanted to see again.

He sighed and pushed away the heavy sadness that was building up inside his chest. There were more important things to deal with.

The narrow street in the back of Davenport's house was empty, and the nearby homes were still quiet except for a few shades clapping lightly in the windows. He had no idea if anyone was inside the Victorian-style homes, but there seemed to be no one nearby, which was ideal.

Stopping abruptly, Luna halted and looked over her shoulder. Warm sunlight graced her elegant cheekbones. "We need to talk, Moon."

An eyebrow raised, and a moment passed. "About?"

"The weather."

She chuckled and glanced up. "A thunderstorm is definitely in the forecast."

"Yeah, looks like it."

Thunder boomed in the sky as a high wind swept passed them and hit the shades in the windows.

Meeting his gaze, Luna said, "We should get going. I don't want to be outside when it rains."

"We will. There's just something I want to know."

"You aren't hearing my thoughts right now, A?"

"They're not loud." Facing her, Amir held onto her hand and stepped closer, her eyes staying locked on his. "I try not to listen to them when I can help it."

"I appreciate that."

"You're welcome. Now, could you tell me what Davenport was thinking?"