51 | Beginnings

━━━─── • ───━━━

Luna •

For the fifth time, Luna stared at her new name. The name rang a bell. "Blair Meyer?"

Liberty bounced and wiggled her eyebrows. "I chose them, so I hope you like them."

"What's your say, Amir?"

"Imran Malik. I wonder where that originated from?" he said, shaking his head at his cousin. "The Maliks?"

Luna and Faisal laughed. She recognized the name's origin. It was the surname of the woman Amir was arranged for. Raima Malik.

She grinned and turned to her sister. "My last name commemorates my favorite photographer, Natalie Meyer, and my first name is Blair from Gossip Girl."

Liberty smiled. "When I needed to combine two good names, it fits you."

Luna couldn't stop grinning. She nibbled her left cheek and examined her photo ID like an invention. It looked like her driver's license but was from a different state and address. The envelope included her real ID and Social Security number.

"Sarah's new birth certificate is in her envelope," Liberty said, looking at it. "You'll love it."

While Amir fiddled with his papers, Luna nodded and lifted hers. Even though it would be strange, she could call him Imran. She gently opened the envelope and withdrew the fresh birth certificate with Sarah's new name.

Luna chuckled and whispered, "Serena Meyer." Sarah's original name, Serena, came from Gossip Girl. "Thank you," she said as she put the contents back in. Staring at the papers was about to give her an identity crisis.

"Where did my new first name come from? I'm curious why you chose this one," Amir asked Faisal.

"I don't know," Faisal replied. "Imran came from the new Biologist at work, and Malik . . . well, Imran Malik sounded perfect."

Amir looked at Luna. He smiled and elbowed her. "When Luna and I get married, we'll use our real names. If you still think we have a future together?"

Liberty asked, "Are you proposing to my sister right now?"

He shrugged. "One day I will, but now isn't the right time."

"Very romantic," Cami commented.

"Yeah, this week we will change all your accounts to your new name, Amir. You'll have a new bank, a new set of paperwork, and documents that show you can stay in the country," Faisal said as he sat down on a chair. "If you inject the serum, you can live anywhere. Each of us has a new name and identity."

"How did Darren do this?" Luna asked, stunned at the new IDs and fake certificates.

Decker smirked. "Darren had a little help. Among my many talents and knowledge, I can easily produce a phony ID, passport, and legal status. You learn this when you work with a deceitful doctor."

Luna shook her head, laughing softly. Was there anything he wasn't capable of?

Amir beamed while holding the envelope beneath his right arm. "Thank you," he said, glancing at the group. "This is a new beginning for us. We can't go back."

"Nope," said Vikram. "But when you both move somewhere else, we'll make sure you have lead domes with you." He then handed Amir and Luna two rings. "These lead rings will protect you from hunters."

Luna placed the silver band on her right third finger and murmured, "I'm afraid to ask how you got these."

"When Amir and I spoke at St. Matthew's, I called my friends in Mumbai who are Tethered Souls, and they shipped these babies out here. Thankfully, I got them just in time. I wouldn't recommend taking the rings off. You should always wear them."