28 | Visitors I

━━━─── • ───━━━

Luna •

"Hey," Cami squealed as she peeked her head around Luna's door. "Several visitors have arrived, and I saw my parents in the lounge. I believe they're sitting next to your family." 

Nodding, Luna finished wrapping her hair into a tight ponytail and prepared herself for Visitor's Day. She wanted to put on a brave smile to have a good visit with her family. Ten full days since she had seen them, and she wondered how everything has been going since she's been away.

"Thank you."

"Ready?" Cami asked, looping her arm through Luna's. 

"Yeah. Being away from my little girl for this long has been a struggle. This will have long-lasting psychological issues pushed on her, and I hate for Sarah to see me like this." 

"Just smile and be there for them. Sarah needs to see her mother happy."

Cami gave her a quick hug before they walked into the corridor.

As soon as they crossed into the Visitor's room, Luna saw Liberty standing beside the window with Sarah and Vikram sitting on a couch. When Liberty looked up, the three of them noticed Luna and jumped up. Sarah rushed toward her mother and hugged her waist.

"Mommy! I've missed you!"

"I know, baby girl. I've missed you, too," said Luna, holding her daughter in her arms.

Liberty walked closer to her sister with tears in her eyes and wrapped her arms around her shoulders. "Luna . . ."

Lifting her head, Luna sniffed Liberty's sweet cotton candy fragrance off her skin and noticed the earrings she'd given her for Christmas; a set of pearls with diamonds in the middle. "You're wearing them, I see."

"Vikram suggested it to me. I wanted to wear the beads you gave me for my birthday, but he said if I wear these instead it may make you feel better."

"Aw, thank you." Luna reached over and hugged him. "I'm glad you guys are here."

"Sure Luna," Vikram said, giving her a gentle smile. "It's good to see you."

Luna glanced over and watched Cami holding both of her parents, smiling up at them. She had her father's big lips and her mother's beautiful eyes. Cami's father was from Nigeria and her mother was from Iceland. Luna thought those two people created a beautiful and loving person together.

Turning her attention back to her family, they gathered themselves around a square table and sat down. Luna pulled out a coloring sheet for Sarah and looked back at Liberty, who had a frown on her face. 

"How are you holding up?"

"I'm okay. I have a few friends here and now I can see you guys. Things are looking up," Luna told her, putting on a brave face.

She couldn't tell them exactly what's been going on in the facility. She didn't even care to think about it.

"Are you sure?" Liberty questioned.

"Yeah, peachy." 

Luna half smiled and glanced down at Sarah's sheet. She didn't color outside the lines and was now getting better at it. Her birthday was soon, and Luna feared she wouldn't be able to see her. She didn't trust this hospital or what the staff may promise in return.

So this moment was the only time she could be around the people who mattered to her. She even made a colorful basket with plastic flowers in it and cut out Barbie doll figures as a small present for Sarah.