{Book Three} 151 | Mission

ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ Tethered ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ

Chapter 25

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna

The car doors opened once Greer shut off the engine. Luna was the last person to scramble out of her seat and unbuckle the seat belt, which was awful for her; she hated to feel like the last one at the party.

Amir commanded, "Stay low."

Huh? He indicated for her to crouch when he noticed the expression on her face. She gave him a shady glare. "What? I can hold my own, but I'm no superhero," she said.

"You're a great fighter, Luna." Greer walked around the front of the Explorer like they were entering a convenience store. "You could be a half-master swordsman."

She gave him a sly smile. "I appreciate that."

"She would make a hot swordsman," Amir said, grinning at her. "I need you two to hold on for a second."

Yeah, she was not going to listen to that, but Greer grabbed her arm and stopped her before she could waddle into the street. He firmly gripped her and uttered, "Seriously. Don't move."

She attempted to free herself from his grip, but the Diesel slammed into a car, stopping her in her tracks with a loud crash of metal.

The truck was barreling down the road at full speed just as Amir walked straight out into the middle of the road, shoulders slumped and arms raised. His expression showed concentration.

While he stood there, legs spread and his back straightened, he displayed a striking image. Like a god was about to collide with a giant.

Amir was shrouded in a glimmer of gold light, and from where Luna was standing, she could see his veins shine from within, a bright tan hue that followed a network of lines across his jawline and down his neck before fading away under the collar of his shirt and then resurfacing along his limbs.

She had never seen him this way before, but she could sense what he was about to do. She believed that she was the only one with this ability.

Amir froze time.

The car paused, pushing the travelers forward while the atmosphere around them hummed with energy. Even though he had stopped the vehicle, he was powerless to freeze the Defectives inside. She was awed just from staring at Amir while he focused on stopping them. She had only ever frozen other people once accidentally, and it took a lot of energy to do so.

But he didn't seem bothered.

Her husband kept going.

The Diesel looked like it was attached to some sort of ethereal thread as Amir cocked his arm. The force of the vehicle snapped back after he unfroze them, but gravity couldn't carry that amount of strength.

The truck struck a perfect pose on its front two wheels, floated for a moment, and then tipped over with the force of an ape. The roof caved in, crunching metal.

Greer said, "Boo-yah. That's what you get for messing with the king."

Luna stumbled, "How . . . how did Amir do that?"

"By being tethered to his wife. No other explanations needed." Greer winked at her.

The Defectives didn't stop moving for long. The doors squeaked before exploding in pale light. Six of them burst forth and rushed viciously in the trio's direction.