{Book Two} 121 | Surprises

The Tethered Ones

Chapter 51

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna

The next day, Luna was on her way home after checking out the house Davenport had arranged for her family. Amir noticed her as he stepped off the Hale's porch. He caught her around the waist from behind and lifted her three steps from the door and spun her around so fast that her legs looked like miniature windmills.

She swayed uncontrollably through the door after he set her on her feet and let go. He laughed. "You don't look so hot."

"That's what happens when you sweep me off my feet."

He slid his arm over her shoulder, clearly amused. They stopped near a collection of boxes brought over by neighbors, containing clothing and books. A lot of books.

Amir snatched a brown package from her grasp. "Ooh! More books! I guess we don't have enough entertainment?"

She laughed as she set them on the counter. "There will never be enough."

He clutched a book to his chest, his eyes moony. "Our lives are now complete."

"My life would be complete once Sarah and my parents are here."

Amir kissed her cheek as he shifted the remaining boxes. "How does their house look?"

She smiled. "I think they'll like it. It has three bedrooms and a large wrap-around porch. My parents adored those porches."

"That sounds nice." He exhaled and stood against the wall. "Once we've finished settling your family in, we'll find a place for mine."

As she walked in front of the window, a warm breeze blew a strand of her hair across her face. "I wonder about that."

"About what?" He moved a few boxes from one end of the house to the other.

She took a deep breath and returned his gaze. "I can't get Titus's words out of my head."

"He said a lot of things. And I mean a lot."

"He did." Luna walked up to the front door and propped it open. Everything was so quiet that it almost scared her. "Titus mentioned that he is ten times older than your grandparents. That's even older than mine. Doesn't that freak you out a little?"

Amir shrugged. "No. I just think he knows more than the rest of us."

When she walked into the kitchen, he was running the back of his hand over his mouth, his hair a tangle of waves, and his eyes the color of Autumn leaves. The movement drew his shirt taut over his biceps and chest.

She sighed, biting her lower lip. Water did the body good.

His grin was devilish. He moved so quickly putting the bottle on the counter that she didn't notice him until he was standing in front of her, taking her cheeks in his hands. She loved how unpredictable he was and could surprise her at any moment. She used to despise it, but she'd grown accustomed to it.

Then he leaned in and kissed her, and the sweat tasted richer, lusher, and smoother. She didn't realize he was guiding her backward or that they were getting close to the corridor until he lifted her without breaking the kiss.

He didn't stop in the doorway but continued kissing her, and her heart was racing. He turned and gently kicked open the bedroom door, and her heart skipped a beat because they were in the room and the air felt calm. She was overcome with nervous excitement.