{Book Two} 114 | Raid

The Tethered Ones

Chapter 44

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna •

The mood was tense when Luna and both groups piled into the available vehicles and began the drive to Ramsey Sanitarium. And for once, no one was arguing with Ethan about what he'd done.

The men exchanged curses and bursts of laughter, but everyone else seemed nervous.

Dominique was getting into the passenger seat of Owen's SUV. She was dressed entirely in black, including black tights, black sneakers, and a skintight black turtleneck. She reminded Luna of a ninja. Zoe sat right next to her and was dressed in red. She must have gotten the memo about staying back and not running into the facility with them. Luna had no idea why Zoe had dressed so casually unless she was trying to blend in with the seat cushions.

Either way, she thought Zoe was stunning.

Luna, on the other hand, was dressed in dark sweatpants and a black sweater that was too small for Owen. It had to be from his younger years because it wouldn't even fit over his head now, and she appeared to be going to the gym.

Faisal, Vikram, and Cami wore the same clothes they had worn when they arrived: a regular gray tee shirt and blue jeans.

Ethan and Cami were riding with Luna and Amir while Connor drove the Diesel truck, and the rest were with Owen in an SUV. Her gaze was glued to the wall as they passed through the gate until it faded out of sight. The few days she'd spent there had been nice . . . truly amazing.

The first twenty minutes of the journey were not bad. Ethan kept quiet at first, but once he started talking, things went downhill and he was getting on everyone's nerves. Connor threatened to stop the vehicle and throttle him several times. And she didn't think anyone would stop him if he did.

Connor shifted lanes, then ran his hand through his hair. "Do you ever stop talking, Ethan?"

"When I'm sleeping," he replied.

"And when you're dead," Cami retorted. "You'll stop talking when someone snaps your neck."

Ethan smirked. "Whatever."

Luna turned and hid her frown. She was trying to hold the sympathy she felt for him. "What are you going to do when you see your family?"

Ethan shook his head slowly as awe crept across his features. "Oh, man, I'm not sure. Breathe. They'll be out of there."

Luna, overcome with emotion, gave Ethan a tearful smile. "I'm sure they'll feel the same way." She'd never met them, but she was familiar with how the organization operated. Nobody deserved to be in those facilities.

Amir's lips tipped up at the corners of her eyes, and her heart fluttered.

She took a deep breath and focused on Cami, who was leaning against the window. "How are you, Cam?"

Cami's gaze shifted to her. She responded with a soft smile. "I'm just going with the flow here. I'm going to stay back with the others in case anything happens."