{Book Three} 130 | Sam

ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ Tethered ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ

Chapter 4

━━─── • ───━━━

Luna

Something much more wild and ferocious took control of Luna once she locked eyes with Sam. She was overcome by a sickening, sinking sense of animosity. Her fist swung out as it struck his cheekbone. He was knocked against the wall by a strong, powerful force. She was filled with all of the resentment and rage she had ever felt over the years.

White-hot pain danced across her hand, and he let out a startled groan. "Lu-Lu—"

"Don't call me that."  She swung again, this time driving her knuckles into his chin.

As Sam staggered back, he grimaced in pain. "Lu-Lu, you need to calm down so I can explain."

"Hell no!"

As she spun and reached for a small lamp next to the bed, the overhead light suddenly turned on. She wasn't sure how it did. Sam's abilities shouldn't function if she couldn't use them in her cell. He lunged at her and took advantage of her being caught off guard by the sudden glare.

Pushing forward, he forced her to back away from the lamp. "You will be sedated," he warned. "I know you don't want that."

"Go screw yourself!" She swung at him again, slamming her fist into his abdomen.

He twisted her elbow. A sharp pain shot up her arm, causing her to gasp in shock. She kicked out as he spun her around. He let go of her arm, narrowly avoiding the thrust of her knee in his groin. "We can't talk if you're going to act like this." His pale eyes narrowed. "You have to behave."

"You're a bastard!" she yelled, rage seeping from her lips. "You shot my husband!"

Sam chuckled under his breath and, well, she lost her shit.

Luna attacked him like a boxer—a really lame boxer because Sam easily avoided her strike. Her left fist smashed into the bed, and the next second, he pressed into her back. She toppled forward, slamming into the bed on her side and bouncing it against the wall.

His knees dropped to the mattress as he grabbed her shoulders and rolled her onto her back. He cursed after being slapped on the arms. She stood up and swung again at him.

"Stop it," he yelled as he grabbed her hand. He leaned over her, his face inches away from hers, and spoke quietly. "Stop fighting, Luna. You're making things worse. BARDA is recording everything. How did you think the lights turned on? This room will be sprayed with phycyne."

She tried to push him aside, but he shifted his weight so that his knees were pressed against both sides of her legs, trapping them. Panic crept up inside her, causing her pulse to hasten. Nausea intensified, and the panic increased. "Get off of me!"

"I'm not sure if I should. You'll swing at me again."

"I will!" She jerked her hips, but he didn't budge, and her heart was pounding so fast she thought she was going to have a heart attack.

Sam shook his head. "You need to relax. I came to talk. You can count on me."

She let out a strangled laugh, her eyes wide. "Count on you? I saw you die. Twice."