KABANATA 25

Childhood•••

Childhood
•••

I've been on several dates before. With Benj, some suitors, my friends and with my family. But so far, this moment will be the most memorable of them all. I don't know if it's considered to call this a date. I just can't help myself to think that it is.

A simple dinner inside a humble house. The yellow illumination of the candlelight gave the room a romantic vibe and most importantly, the love of my life, sitting across me.

I sliced a piece of steamed fish and put it into my mouth. The tender flesh of the fish is well cooked and the savory taste spreads into my mouth like an explosion. The spices and herbs were fully infused to the fish that I can taste the aroma of thyme and rosemary.

“Marunong ka pala magluto,” I complimented as I reached for my flute to wash the taste of the fish with the red wine.

Tumingin siya sa 'kin sa kalagitnaan ng kanyang pagkain.

“Nagustuhan mo ba?”

“Uh huh.”

“Bihira akong makapag luto. Hindi naman ako mapili sa pagkain, kaya kung ano ang inihahain nila sa akin. Iyon na ang kinakain ko.”

Hindi ko alam pero naka ramdam ako ng hiya sa kanyang isinagot. I'm a choosy eater. Well, that was before I experienced living in Agness. I used to set a certain standard for the food I ate. I consider a lot of things, the taste, nutrient contents, cleanliness, measurement and such. But now, I learned to value simple foods being set to the table.

“Sino ang nagturo sa iyong magluto.”

“Wala. Pinapanood ko lang ang ginagawa ng isang kusinero mula sa bintana habang nag-aabang. Mahilig kasi siyang magtapon ng mga hindi nagamit na rekado at tira-tirang pagkain pagkatapos magluto. Iyon ang ipinapantawid gutom ko.”

My brows drew together.

“Ano ang ibig mong sabihin?”

The corners of his mouth turned up in a casual smile.

“Noong bata ako, pagkatapos mamatay ni ina at Agness. Nanirahan ako sa bangketa, sa tulay, sa gilid ng kalsada, kahit saan na maaari kong silungan.”

The image of a young dirty boy living in the streets, begging for money and food to survive popped into my mind. My heart clenched and her eyes welled up.

Ngumisi siya.

“Huwag na natin iyan pag-usapan. Ayokong umiiyak ka.” He reached out to brush the tears that were about to fall.

Just how can he smile and act this way when he experienced the worst in his childhood?

Kinuha ko ang baso ng tubig at uminom para tanggalin ang bara sa lalamunan ko. I batted my lashes to dry off the tears that was about to fall down.