KABANATA 42

Green Eyes•••

Green Eyes
•••

Three and a half years later…

Avyanna sip her juice and returned her attention to the laptop on her lap. Nakaupo siya sa isa sa mga sun lounger doon while checking the emails that her assistant has sent. Saglit siyang tumanaw sa malawak na dagat sa kanyang harapan.

She's currently at the pool deck of Grand Marina, ang isa sa mga Oasis-class cruise ship na pagmamay-ari ng pamilya ni Mina. And because this pool is located on the highest deck, it is windy and cool, the reason she choose to go here, masyado kasi siyang naiinitan sa baba.

Nasa kalagitnaan siya sa pagbabasa sa minutes ng isang meeting when a mix of loud voices erupted from her side.

Tiningnan niya ang mga iyon. There are seven youths playing at the gigantic pool near her. She figured out that they're Filipinos nang marinig niya ang isa sa kanila.

“Shanna, yung bola!”

One girl shrieked and laughed when she missed the ball and instead, hit her head.

She ignored them at bumalik sa ginagawa. But then, the girls screamed again from that group at malakas naman na tumawa ang mga kasama nila na parang pag-aari nila ang mundo.

Nauubusan ng pasensiyang tumingin siya sa paligid at tiningan ang mga kapwa pasaherong naroon to see if they're as disturbed as her. But everyone has their own world and does not care about the noisy group.

Naiiratang napailing siya and gather her things para umalis doon at dumiretso sa kanyang suite.

Binuksan niya ang aircon at inilagay iyon sa pinakamababang temperature. She even opened her balcony for the fresh air to come in.

When she was half content, she went back on the sofa and resumed what she was doing.

This was her fifth month on this voyage. It was supposed to be a one month vacation, pero para atang walang balak ang mga pamilya niyang pabalikin siya. They always insist that she should stay more and relax herself, pero inaalala niya ang kanyang trabaho, so to pacify her, they agreed that they'll send it na lang to her. They even asked the hotel's management to send a printer and other necessary office supplies and equipment. Iyon nga lang, kalahati lang ng trabaho niya ang ipinapadala nila.

“Anak, we sent you there so you could relax and relieve your stress, hindi para magtrabaho,” her mom argued when she called her about the other documents that they're not sending.

“I’m not stressed, I like working.”

“Yes you are! Have you seen yourself? You look ten years older than your actual age.”

“You’re lying, I'm not that old!” depensa niya, pero sa totoo ay na conscious din siya. Naglakad siya papunta sa harap ng salamin to check herself.