lxi. andi and i dye our hair matching colours

chapter sixty-one

─── andi and i dye our hair matching colours

          𝕿he revelation came out, and I paused, looking between the two. The thing was, I could see the family resemblance. Zoe and Atlas both shared the same regal expression, cold eyes and vicious glare.

"Let Artemis go," Zoe demanded.

Atlas walked closer to the chained goddess. "Perhaps you'd like to take the sky for her, then? Be my guest."

Zoe opened her mouth to speak, but Artemis said, "No! Do not offer, Zoe! I forbid you."

Atlas smirked. He knelt next to Artemis and tried to touch her face, but the goddess bit at him, almost taking off his fingers.

"Hoo-hoo," Atlas chuckled. "You see, daughter? Lady Artemis likes her new job. I think I will have all the Olympians take turns carrying my burden, once Lord Kronos rules again, and this is the centre of our palace. It will teach those weaklings some humility."

I looked up at Andromeda, who was still on the floor by the pool, Annabeth resting next to her. Annabeth was trying to tell me something, motioning towards Puck, but I could only focus on Andi. Her hair had a long streak of grey, close to her temple, and her hands were scratched up beyond belief, but she was alive and sending me the grin that I'd fallen in love with.

"It's from holding the sky," Brooke muttered by my side, shaking her head. "The weight should've killed her."

"Andi's stubborn," I murmured, knowing what she was like. "She wouldn't have let it kill her."

"I don't understand," Brooke shook her head. "Why can't Artemis just let go of the sky?"

Atlas laughed. "How little you understand, young one. This is the point where the sky and the earth first met, where Ouranos and Gaia first brought forth their mighty children, the Titans. The sky still yearns to embrace the earth. Someone must hold it at bay, or else it would crush down upon this place, instantly flattening the mountain and everything within a hundred leagues. Once you have taken the burden, there is no escape." Atlas smiled. "Unless someone else takes it from you."

He approached us, studying Brooke and me. "So these are the best heroes of the age, eh? Not much of a challenge."

"Fight us." I glared. "And let's see."

"Have the gods taught you nothing? An immortal does not fight a mere mortal directly. It is beneath our dignity. I will have Puck crush you instead."

I did the only thing I knew how. I took a leaf from Andi's book.