The Great Race

Today five animals were having a great race. All the animals were very excited about the race except for the tortoise. The tortoise runs alot slower than the other animals. The other animals: the zebra, the elephant, the gazelle and the lion were warming up and getting ready for the race. The animals laughed at the tortoise for being a slow runner. 

"Haha little tortoise, you will never win the race because you run so slow. Slower than anything else." The lion laughed. 

"Yeah, you are such a slow coach..." the gazelle laughed joining in with the lion. 

All the four animals were laughing and teasing the tortoise how slow he runs, but the tortoise stayed strong and innocent. 

The great race began. The crow began an announcement: "Ok everyone, we have a great race with five animals competting: the zebra, the elephant, the gazelle, the lion and the tortoise. On your marks get set go!" 

The zebra, the elephant, the gazelle and the lion started to run as fast as they could. But, the totoise started really slowly. The other animals that were watching the race were encouraging and cheering on for the tortoise. 

"Why aren't they cheering for us?" The elephant murmured angrily. 

"Yeah, we run ten times faster than that slow and tardy tortoise." The zebra shouted with anger. 

The animals constantly ran swiftly past each tree. Suddenly, the elephant delightingly ran quickly but suddenly he bumped his trunk onto a bananna tree. All the banannas from the tree dropped and made the elephant really hungry. So he just sat and chomped the banannas instead of continuing to run. So all there was left was the zebra, the gazelle and the lion. The tortoise saw the elephant chomping banannas and his belly began to get bigger and bigger which made the tortoise laugh. 

The tortoise immediately walked past the elephant and began to move quicker. Suddenly he heard a big groan. It was from the lion. 

"My paw hurts, I can't run anymore!" He groaned. So the lion rested and groaned more and more, but the tortoise carried on with the race. The zebra and the gazelle were still in the race and they were miles ahead of the tortoise. 

The gazelle quickly ran but he tripped and fell and bumped his horns on the track. 

"My horns!" The gazelle moaned "I can't run with sore horns!" But there was still the tortoise and the zebra in the race left. 

The zebra ran past some green grass. It made him starve so he began to munch each of the grass that was there. He contiued to munch until there was none left. But the tortoise was still running in track and he almost reached the finish line. 

'I'm going to win, I'm going to win." The tortoise's heart pounded. He even got more excited and his smile stretched to the sides of his face really rapidly. The totoise was about to approach the finish line. 

"Here comes the tortoise!" The crow shouted. Everyone that was watching the race got more relived and began to cheer on the totoise. Suddenly, the rest of the four animals in the race heard cheering going on. 

So they immedaitely got back on track and ran though they had injuries. But it was too late, the tortoise already went beyond the finish line. 

"The winner is..............the totoise!" The crow barked. Everyone clapped and cheered while the crow gave the tortoise his 1st place trophy. 

Looking back, the other animals realized that they were too fast and left the track and would never tease the totoise again. 

Moral: Slow and steady wins the race