The Book Competition

Ruby has been the smartest student in her class. In every exam, she scores at least 95%. Even in the previous maths exam, she scored 100%. She does not have many friends at school and goes to the school library to study every break and lunchtime. 

Hazel, who was another student in Ruby's class used to always get at least 95% in every exam. But, since her parents wanted her to do more sports, make new friends and get fitter; she does not do too well in exams. Hazel was now jealous of Ruby because she does better in exams than her and the smartest in the class.

One day, Ms McGlove their teacher announced a Book Competition coming up which happens annually. Each student had to write any story they like and had to be published in a book. The winner's prize is that they get a weekly placement as an assistant at one of Ms McGlove's former English teacher's writing school. Ruby absolutely wanted that job, so did Hazel. 

As soon as Ruby came home from school after hearing about the competition, she dashed to her desk and thought of a story to write. Ruby was working incredibly hard on it. She even stayed up all night to write it before the deadline of the entries occurs. Ruby published it in a book and titled it 'The Global Migration'. It was a long story filled with many complex words. Ruby wrote at least three-hundred pages and she now felt determined to win. 

A month later, it was time for Ms McGlove to announce the winner and runner-ups of the book competition to the class. 

"I have read all your stories and they were all really good. It was a tough decision to choose who should be the winner and runner-ups. I thought you all deserved it. So I shared all your stories with my former English teacher and her colleagues at her writing school, we thought the runner-ups and winner should be....' Ms. McGlove paused, took a deep breath and read out: 

"The 4th runner-up goes to...'The Greatest Wizard of All' by Ethan. The 3rd runner-up goes to 'Princess Izzy' by Isabella. The 2nd runner-up goes to 'The Mysterious Knit' by Phil. So congratulations to the three of you!" Ms McGlove proudly complimented, with all the other students clapping. 

"It was a very difficult decision to choose either one of these two stories to be the winner, because I thought these stories totally deserve it. However, only one could get the placement. So one of the stories are the 1st runner-up and one is declared the winner. The 1st runner-up goes to 'Sasha Saves the Day' by Sara. Now.....the winner is....." 

The class did a loud drum roll. Ruby was crossing her fingers, her heart was pumping and chanting to herself; 'please say The Global Migration, please say Ruby.'

"CRAZY CATS BY HAZEL!" Ms McGlove yelled. Hazel was extremely excited that everybody clapped for her except for Ruby. She got the placement to work in the writing school. 

'Well don't worry, we have other awards for different categories:" Ms McGlove smiled. 

She then announced: "The Creative Award who we thought was the most creative goes to 'Talking Objects' by Tim. The Comedy Award who we thought was the funniest goes to 'The Puppy Who Always Eats Candy' by Bella. The Factual Award who we thought had an amazing story with plenty of facts goes to 'Wonders of the World' by William. The Character Award who we thought had brilliant character descriptions goes to 'Seven Girls are Super' by Mandy. The Setting Award who we thought had a very beautiful description of the setting goes to 'Wonderful Hawaiian Paradise' by Thea. The Title Award who we thought had a great and effective title goes to 'Peter's Pirates and Priya's Princesses' by Diana. The Illustration Award we thought that not just the writing was good, the drawings were very well done too goes to 'Superhero Squad' by Lawrence. The Fairy Tale Award we thought had a lovely happy ending goes to 'Little Red Riding Wolf' by Gerald. The Past Award we thought had a great story written in the past goes to 'War Boy' by Jack. The Future Award we thought had a great story written in the future goes to 'Electronic World' by Darren and The Drama Award we thought had wonderful expressions and well used of the five senses goes to 'Flowers Bloom' by Victoria." 

Everyone felt very happy about their award. Ruby began to feel very upset, because she did not get an award and she wasn't declared the winner. 

"Well don't feel too upset Ruby," Ms McGlove said cheering her up, "The Novel Award we thought had an extremely excellent story and was well written as a novel goes to.....'The Global Migration' by Ruby. Well done Everyone! All your amazing stories will be displayed in the school library so people could read and borrow it." 

Now Ruby stopped feeling upset and had to bare with just getting The Novel Award. 

Moral: Never feel bad if you don't get your way