The Necklace

Helen, Layla and Cathy were going for a walk in the seaside. But suddenly, Helen discovered something twinkling. 

"Can you hear that?" Helen murmured at her friends. 

"What do you mean, Helen?" Cathy questioned. "Are you hallucinating or something?" 

"No!" Helen replied. "I can hear the sound, listen." 

"I think something is magically shining with the sounds of twinkles." Layla whispered back. "Let's take a look." 

"Now, I can hear it." Cathy smiled.

The three girls followed the twinkling sound and they discovered a lovely colourful necklace filled with beads of the rainbow colours. 

"It's so beautiful!" Helen squealed, "it's like a rainbow!" 

"I know! It's very precious!" Layla beamed, going towards it to pick it up. 

"Hey! Let me get that!" Cathy shouted as she grabbed it. 

"But, I want it!" Helen yelled back, "I was the one that told you there was a sound." 

"No!" Layla argued with them, "none of you could have it. I'm having this wonderfully gorgeous necklace! I was about to take it! And you might even break it!" 

The girls could not stop arguing with who gets the necklace. So they have decided to have the necklace for one day and then pass it on to the next person, the following day. 

Helen was the first person to take it. She happily and very carefully put the necklace on. However, things were very unusual since she worn it. Helen missed her school bus so she had to order a taxi and was very late to school. And then at lunchtime, when she bought her food from the canteen, it was all splat on the floor and ended up not eating any lunch making her really starve. During her lessons after lunch, she could not concentrate because of not eating any food before hand and her teachers told her off for not paying attention. It was really Helen's worst day of school. 

Layla was the second person to wear the necklace. She was feeling very proud to look at it. She put it on very gently, ensuring nothing will break. At school during Music, it was her turn to play a piano piece to the class but it turned out sounding horribly and off tune. She felt utterly embarrassed and Music was her favourite subject. Afterschool, Layla was walking her dog, Hunter but he wetted Layla's new trainers and she was very upset. Layla clearly had her worst day ever. 

Last but not the least, the necklace was passed on to Cathy. It was also Cathy's birthday where she grabbed hold of the colourful necklace hopping and smiling around. 

"Good morning!" Cathy smiled at her parents. 

"Good morning Darling." Her mum acknowledged, "what do you want for your breakfast?" 

"Mum!!" Cathy yelled in shock, "do you know what day it is? It is February the 9th and it is always a special day for me!" 

"Oh yes, Cathy." Mum responded. "I almost forgot! It's time for waffles!" 

"February 9th is usually a busy day for me." Dad said, "I am off to work now." 

"Mum! Dad!" Cathy moaned surprisingly. "Where are my presents? My cakes? My balloons?" 

Cathy sighed to herself and thought maybe her friends will remember that it is her birthday today. 

"Hey!!! Good morning Rosanne and Agatha!" Cathy greeted with excitement and with full energy. "Guess what day it is!" 

"It's just a normal day, Cathy." Rosanne acknowledged in such a moody voice. "Don't think it's anything important today." 

"Yeah, Cathy." Agatha replied. "It's just an ordinary day and we have Maths homework to do for Miss Clarke. Did you do it yet? Because she gets cross if you don't do her work set." 

"What!! Not even you two!!" Cathy gasped feeling annoyed. "You both know it is February the 9th today and what happens on it. Also,  remember my party later on today." 

"So, what it's February the 9th and what party?" Rosanne asked looking puzzled, "I don't think you've said anything about it. Anyways we have other things to do afterschool. Come on, Agatha." 

Agatha nodded and agreed and they both left her rudely. 

"How can my parents and my two best friends forget it's my birthday today?" Cathy sighed deeply to herself. "It is so unusual! And how it is such an important day to remember? Well, I guess it's just a normal day after all." 

Cathy then picked up her books and folders from her locker. But suddenly. she tumbled over and tripped. It was Cathy's worst birthday ever. No wishes, no cards, no presents, no cake, no balloons. 

The following day, her along with Layla and Helen met up in a cafeteria. 

"Guys, I had such a horrific birthday yesterday!" Cathy yelled angrily, "I honestly cannot believe that my parents and two best friends forgotten about it. I had to remind them many times, but they have forgotten!" 

"I'm sorry to hear that, Cathy." Layla answered sympathetically then groaned out, "I had the worst day of school two days ago! Music is my favourite subject and I've been practising so hard with my piano piece to play for the class as it is also my practical assessment. But, it was horrid! The music did not sound correct and it was completely off tune. Everyone laughed at me and my teacher gave me a big fat zero! And I walked Hunter yesterday and he peed on my new favourite shoes!" 

"Guys! Three days ago, was such a terrible day!" Helen yelled. "I was honestly frustrated with how I missed my school bus and then turned up late to school! And my lunch all spat on the floor then I had to study in hunger and all my teachers were telling me off for not concentrating!" 

"I wonder why all these bad days are happening." Cathy said. 

"Could it be something to do with the necklace?" Helen suggested. "Like think about it. I had it three days ago, everything went horribly for me." 

Layla blinked and made her thought, "and two days ago,  I had it and the day was all pathetic for me!" 

"Yesterday, I worn it and it was my worst birthday." Cathy answered. "You could be right, Helen. Maybe it is the necklace that is causing us the trouble and it's a curse." 

"Hey," Helen thought as she found a book beneath her, "this is a book to cursed objects and the exact necklace is on the cover. Maybe that could help." 

Cathy and Layla looked surprised as they began to feel more interested in why they have been having bad days. Helen then turned to the page that had the exact same necklace. 

"That's the necklace we picked up." Layla pointed out immediately, "it could be a cursed object." 

Reading to her friends, Helen read out; "this is the 'Naughty Necklace'. It may seem like a pretty necklace. But, when someone wears it or uses it, it will give them  bad luck and the opposite of positive things will happen until they stop using it." 

"Oh. No wonder we had bad days." Cathy responded. "I think the 'Naughty Necklace' is dangerous. Maybe let's keep that book somewhere so that we will know not to pick any of the items mentioned in the book." 

The girls then had another walk to the seaside and threw it in the sea so that it will never be seen or used by anyone else again. That was the end of the Naughty Necklace. 

Moral: Never pick things up that do not belong to you. Pretty things do not always mean they do good to you