Zachary

Zachary was a hard-working boy. He does his homework everyday and he tries his best to spend more time to work and less time to play. He had no friends at school and he always kept on going into the library to study. But, Zachary wasn't sporty anymore. He stopped playing football and basketball and does not play sports with other boys. 

"What should we do with our Zachary?" His father asked, worryingly. "He shouldn't always work, he needs to play sports with other boys and he needs to become sporty too." 

"No Mikey, he's perfectly fine. Zachary is a very hard-working boy and he needs to work to sustain his academic progress." His mother disagreed immediately. 

One day at school, Ms. Baron made an announcement that Zachary's class will do a school play on 'Fantastic Mr. Fox'. The class needed to audition if they wanted a main character. But, Mr. Fox was the best. He had the most lines and all the boys in Zachary's class wanted to audition to play Mr. Fox.

Zachary wished the same thing, he thought he would be good. But, Ms. Baron said that everyone needs to practise saying a very long line for Mr. Fox. So she gave everyone a copy of the entire script which was 30 pages long. 

As soon as Zachary came home, he immediately practised the long line and he tried to remember the line, word by word and he did it! 'Mission accomplished!' He thought. Zachary felt proud to remember the line off by heart and is ready to audition. 

The next day were the auditions, first up was Jack. He messed up with the line and all the boys who were going to audition laughed even Ms. Baron laughed too. Finally, it was Zachary's turn. He remembered each word what was said in the script. He did it and remembered everything! He now felt relived and hoped to get Mr. Fox. 

"Mr. Fox is going to be.........Jack!" Ms. Baron announced. All the boys felt happy for him except for Zachary. 

"Why didn't I get Mr. Fox?" He asked Mrs. Baron looking concerned. "Do you mean Zachary? Jack messed up, I didn't!" 

"Well Zachary, Jack made us laugh you didn't. You were too good that's why." Mrs. Baron said with a smile. "If you audition for a character in a play, you need to make people laugh." 

Moral: Being too good does not mean anything.