Helpful Sofia

Sofia was a very helpful and responsible girl. She loved helping people especially her family. Whenever Sofia gets asked to do something she would do it right away and does it with success. 

"Sofia," Mum called from the kitchen. Sofia immediately walked into the kitchen and smelled something from there. They were cookies Mum baked for tea. 

"Yes Mum, what can I do for you?" Sofia questioned her. "Have you been baking cookies? I can smell cookies from here." 

"Oh yes, Darling. Can you please help me put the icing and the sprinkles on the cookies? Six of my colleagues are coming for tea soon and I need to decorate the cookies before they come and it will take me a long time to do them all by myself." Mum replied. "I do half, you do the other half. I know you are good at decorating cookies." 

She passed Sofia half the cookies she baked and began decorating them. Mum also got the three coloured icings: Brown, pink and white to put on the cookies and colourful shaped sprinkles too. They spread the icings first and then added the sprinkles all over the cookies. 

Suddenly, Michelle who was Sofia's older sister sneaked into the kitchen and smelled something that made her stomach rumble. She could not look at her sister helping Mum and sighed. 'Why do they ask Sofia to help but not me?' 

When Sofia just finished decorating the cookies, she heard something: "Sofia," It was Dad outside the house. Sofia left the kitchen and went outside the house to help Dad. Michelle came in to the kitchen as she finally saw her sister left. 

"Mum," Michelle said. "Do you need any help?" 

"Not at the moment, Sweetheart. Sofia and I just finished decorating the cookies. Why don't you put the sprinkles and the icing back in the cupboard?" Mum said giving the sprinkles and icing to her. 'It was not fair,' Michelle thought. Her sister get to really help out while she has to just put things back where it belongs. 

"Sofia, I need to clean the car. I need it so that I can go to a very urgent meeting. I washed the car and there's just the windows to do. Can you please help me wipe the windows?" Dad asked her. 

"Of Course, Dad. I will do anything for you." Sofia responded picking up a cloth to wipe the car windows. Michelle saw her sister outside and sighed. 'She helped Mum and now helping Dad. Why are they asking Sofia?' 

Finally, Sofia was finished. As soon as Sofia finished the window wiping, Michelle came down to the car. 

"Dad," Michelle said. "Do you need a hand?" 

"Not for now, Michelle. I just finished cleaning the car with Sofia's help in wiping the windows. I need to go to my office for a very urgent meeting now. But, you can put the bucket and cloths back in the laundry." Dad smiled. 'Again, why can't I do something more helpful other than putting things back where it belongs. I guess they are liking Sofia more than me.' Michelle thought. Suddenly, Sofia heard another voice calling her name. It was her little brother Hugo. He was in his room. 

Sofia went up to Hugo's room to check on him. 

"What's the matter Hugo?" She questioned him. 

"I need to write a diary about my week for homework and it is due by tomorrow and my room's got books and toys all over the place. Can you help me tidy it up while I do my homework?" Hugo asked her.  

"Of course, Hugo. I am very quick at tidying up." Sofia replied as she picked up each book and put it on the shelf and each toy back in the toy box. Michelle spied on her sister helping again. 'Why does my family always ask Sofia to help? She helped Mum, Dad and now she is helping Hugo. When can she stop and have me helping instead?" 

Finally Sofia finished helping her brother tidy up his books and toys. 

"Its all done, Hugo." Sofia told him. "Do you need me to help you in anything else?"

"No thanks Sofia, it's all done now." Hugo replied. Sofia left Hugo's room and Michelle asked her brother: "Hugo, do you need any help? I can help you if you want."

"I don't need any help, Michelle. I am alright. I just finished my diary so can you help me put it in my schoolbag? I have more homework to do." He said.

Michelle put Hugo's diary in his bag and sighed, 'why does my family kept asking Sofia to help, but never me?'

Suddenly, Sofia felt a tap on her shoulder. It was Michelle.

"Michelle, do you need me to help you?" Sofia asked her sister.

"No thanks Sofia, I'm alright. But, can I talk to you?" Michelle said immediately.

"Of course, I like talking as much as helping." Sofia smiled.

"Well, I saw you and Mum, Dad and Hugo asking you to help out." Michelle told her sister, "are they asking you too much? I guess you need a break."

"No, I don't. I love helping." Sofia said.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang. It was six of Mum's colleagues, Mum asked Michelle to open the door and prepare their snack.

Finally, Michelle was asked to do something other than putting things back where it belongs.

Moral: If you want a job, you need to learn to do it with success.