Animal Sports Day

Today was Animal Sports Day. It was very exciting and there were four events: the relay race, hurdles, long jump and high jump. There were five animals that were going to be part of Sports Day: Harry Horse, Romeo Rabbit, Freddie Frog, Kevin Kangaroo and Toby Tortoise. The animals cannot wait to take part. But, Toby Tortoise wasn't feeling excited.

"Toby," Harry questioned, "why do you look sad?"

"I'm not sad, Harry." Toby replied, "it's just that I am not sure whether I will be able to win."

"He's just so slow!" Romeo called overhearing. "He is such a slow poke."

"He shouldn't be called 'Toby'" Freddie added. "He should be called Slowby!"

"But, his name is Toby." Kevin said, "but I can see why he is called Slowby."

Romeo, Freddie and Kevin all started laughing at Toby for being slow. But, Toby felt very sad.

"Stop it!" Toby shouted, "I don't like it!"

Harry immediately stood up for Toby. He looked very disgusted at the three other animals for laughing and making fun of him as Harry knew that Toby was a tortoise and always tries his best.

"Stop laughing at Toby!" Harry bellowed frowning at the other animals. "Toby is only a tortoise and he tries his best. I don't think he will laugh and make fun of you if something goes wrong. Romeo, did Toby laugh when you got stuck in that tall tree and you were scared to jump down? Freddie, did Toby laugh when you jumped high and you fell? And Kevin, did he laugh when you took a long time to reach the top when we went mountain climbing?"

The other animals shook their heads and immediately apologised to Toby.

It was now time for the first Animal Sports Day event, the relay race. All the animals were really competing and racing against each other. The winner was Harry. Harry Horse was presented the trophy, feeling amazed and there was Toby who ran out of breath and came last by miles, but he stayed strong and was the only animal to congratulate Harry.

Next, it was time for the hurdles. All the animals lined up except for Harry as he won the trophy for the relay race. All the other animals have finished the jumping over hurdles  but Toby was still struggling as he kept knocking them down.

"I'm too slow..." Toby sighed sadly. Harry has decided to allow him to go under the hurdle rather than to leap over it.  The winner was Kevin Kangaroo. He was just awarded his hurdles trophy. Toby went up to congratulate him.

The next event was the long jump. There was Romeo Rabbit, Freddie Frog and Toby Tortoise competing. Romeo and Freddie both had their go and it was now Toby's turn. Toby only leapt on a spot 1cm away. It was not far at all unlike Freddie and Romeo. Romeo won the long jump and proudly held his trophy. Toby then told Romeo how he was very happy that he won it.

Finally, it was the high jump. Freddie and Toby were the only two competitors in this as the other animals have won trophies during this Sports Day. Freddie did a huge hop over the tall bar and landed successfully. It was Toby's turn now. He tried to jump as high as he could but only to go under the bar and knocked it.

"Oh no!" He said looking disappointed, "how can I be so foolish?"

Freddie Frog was presented his high jump trophy. Toby then went to him to say how proud he was for winning. However, he did try to stay happy and to enjoy the Sports Day but he left feeling downright disappointed.

"Toby," Harry Horse asked as he was heading towards him.

"Nothing, Harry." He replied, "just leave me alone."

"But there is one more trophy that needs to be given out. We have five trophies, why don't you come to see who should get it?" Harry said persuading Toby.

Toby nodded and walked with Harry.

It has been announced that the last trophy was not for winning events. But, this was more important than winning anything. It was the "Good Sportsmanship" trophy. Because, he showed a lot of that where he congratulated all the other event trophy winners, took part in every event, tried his best, did not feel upset or threatened when he didn't win...the winner of that trophy is Toby Tortoise!

There was some loud clapping and cheering. Toby felt really happy, because he won a trophy.

Moral: Good sportsmanship is more important than winning