Phoebe Helps Out

Phoebe was a very kind and caring student. She would take in favours and help others who need her. All her classmates, friends and teachers always trust her. Not only do Phoebe always get people to ask her to help, she is the student council president.

One day, the deputy student council president, Madison who had long brown, straight hair that told her to not forget about the student council meeting at lunchtime.  

"Of course!" Phoebe smiled, "I am the student council president so I need to remember to attend all meetings."

"Oh yes!!" Madison beamed, "See you there!"

However, at lunchtime Phoebe was walking past the library and peeking through the glass door of it, she saw the librarian and had lots of books to shelve.

"Mrs. Peterson!" Phoebe called as she carefully opened the door, "you have got lots of books to shelf, do you need some help?"

"Oh yes, Phoebe!" Mrs. Peterson smiled, "it will take me forever to get all these books shelved. Thank you so much! Why don't you shelf these books for me?"

Mrs. Peterson handed over a handful of books for Phoebe to shelf. But, deep inside, Phoebe told Madison that she will attend the student council meeting. In the library, her English teacher, Mr. Nicholson was marking piles of essays. Phoebe went over to him and asked if he needed help. Mr. Nicholson beamed and told her that since he has got a big pile of homework to mark, but finished with marking some English writing books, to take it to his English classroom.  

Phoebe immediately accepted the job. But, she didn't even shelve any books nor went to the student council meeting. On the way to the English classroom,  there were two middle school girls who were in the reception  selling wristbands. Passing by, the girls stopped Phoebe and asked her to sell the wristbands as they have something to do at lunch knowing her as the student council president. 

"Yes!" Phoebe thought, "everyone really trusts me as the student council president." Next, the vice principal, Mr. Fletcher saw her and told her he has a meeting.  

"Don't you want to buy a wristband, Mr. Fletcher?" Phoebe asked him. 

"No thank you. But, I have to go to a meeting." He answered, "Phoebe, if you see someone (student or teacher), can you please ask them to help me with my duty in the canteen. I got the day of the meeting mixed up!" 

"Of course!" Phoebe acknowledged. 

Phoebe then thought to make people feel she definitely shows an impact on the student council president, she left the stall to go to the canteen and be on duty for Mr. Fletcher. 

Meanwhile, Madison and the other student council members got really tired of waiting as it has been fifteen. 

"Didn't Phoebe say she will come today?" one student council member questioned Madison. "We have been waiting for seventeen minutes already, now eighteen." 

"It is unlike her to be that late, she is always on time and remembers meetings. Maybe, we can just have the meeting without her." Another member suggested, "Madison why don't you lead it?" 

"She said she was going to come and I am only the vice president. Phoebe has everything and she is supposed to share the agenda with us." Madison answered sadly, "I will check the library if she is around. 

Madison just arrived to the library and approached Mrs. Peterson. 

"Have you seen Phoebe, Mrs. Peterson?" Madison asked looking concerned. "The student council president." 

"I did see her, she was helping me out." Mrs. Peterson answered. 

Overhearing the conversation, Mr. Nicholson called out, "That can't be! Phoebe was supposed to bring my writing books to my classroom!"

"WHAT!" Madison and Mrs. Peterson gasped in shock. 

"Phoebe didn't even shelf these books. They are just lying around!" Mrs. Peterson exclaimed. 

"But, we got a student council meeting. She's the only one with the agenda." Madison replied. "Myself and the rest of the student council are waiting for her."

Mr. Nicholson then hopped back to his classroom to see whether did Phoebe put them. 

"Oh no!" Mr. Nicholson sighed, "the writing books are not back in my shelf! Where could they be?" 

Walking past the wristbands stall in reception, the two middle school girls were really stressed out and saw that there was nobody in the stall and most of the wristbands were taken without being paid. But, meanwhile in the canteen, Phoebe's best friend, Oona saw her. 

"Phoebe!" Oona said spotting her in the canteen, "what are you doing here? I thought you have a student council meeting." 

"I am helping Mr. Fletcher with his canteen duty as he has to go to a meeting." She responded. Phoebe then realised about the student council meeting, helping Mrs. Peterson to Mr. Nicholson to the charity stall and then stressfully was on duty in the canteen. 

"Oh no!" Phoebe panicked, "I totally forgot. It's so embarrassing of me to forget as I am the student council president. I am supposed to take in favours of others and help people as I am worried people will not think I am kind or a good student council president. As student council president, I must say yes if anyone needs my help and.." 

"Phoebe!" Oona paused her, "just because you are student council president means that you have to take on every favour. You need time for yourself and you cannot be there for everyone." 

"I am just worried that if I say no, I will upset people and people will not like me." Phoebe responded. "And especially me as the student council president." 

"Oh Phoebe, don't be silly." Oona snapped at her, "nobody will be upset or not like you. They will understand if you have stuff to do and that is fine even student council presidents need time to themselves. You better owe up to the people you are supposed to help out and I am happy to take over the canteen duty for Mr. Fletcher." 

Phoebe nodded and sighed. She gathered all the people she was supposed to help out to a classroom to apologise for not doing her duties. 

"Oh Phoebe!" Mrs. Peterson exclaimed, "I am not mad at you, I did have lots of books but I can ask someone else to help me shelf them. Thank you for being honest, your student council meeting is very important and I will understand you will need to attend the meeting." 

"Indeed." Mr. Nicholson agreed with her, "I will look for the English books and put them back in the shelf myself." 

The two middle school girls were then still anxious on what will happen as people just snatch the wristbands without paying but Phoebe had a very good idea that the school make an announcement to those that have a wristband to give it back to the stall and to those that have it and paid for it to give it back and a refund will happen due to the accident. To make it up, Phoebe suggested a lemonade stand as the weather is hot and people can order and pay in reception while doing the selling outside.

"That's a great idea," the two middle school girls said, "we forgive you Phoebe. We will let you know if we need help as I know you could be busy." 

"For student council meeting, it will happen tomorrow lunchtime. I promise I will attend so that we can cover everything required, Madison make this announcement to the rest of the members." Phoebe said. 

Phoebe now learns that she does not need to take in everybody's favours in one go or help everyone when they ask her to because she is student council president as log as she have time for herself. 

Moral: It is good to help others but try and pace yourself too