Shelf Help

Libby was a twenty-year-old girl who attends college. She lives on her own near to her best friend in the neighbourhood, Heidi. Heidi was actually in her sixties and acts like a mother towards Libby. This started when Libby's parents died from a plane crash when she was a young child and Libby moved into live with Heidi. Then, once Libby turned eighteen, she bought another house in the neighbourhood. 

One weekend, Libby got really fed up on doing things independently. She thought maybe that day, she can go find Heidi and ask to do things for her. For example, one early morning, Libby wanted baked beans on toast for breakfast. She buttered the toast, but she could not open the tin of beans. She twisted the top, but nothing seemed to budge.

"Maybe Heidi will know what to do..." She thought to herself.

She quickly left the house and rushed over to Heidi's. Libby knocked on the brown wooden door very loudly.

"Who's there?" A posh lady with short blonde curly hair asked as she saw through the peephole. She suddenly opened the door, wondering why Libby was here.

"Heidi!" Libby panicked, "please come and help me!"

"Well, sweetie." Heidi said hesitantly, "I literally dashed down to check whether there's an emergency. It's very early in the morning!"  

"It is an emergency!" Libby shouted, full of panic, "I want to have baked beans on toast for breakfast but the problem is I can't open the tin!"

"Libby...." Heidi said pointing, "did you see this metal thing? It is used to open the tin. You could have worked it out yourself." 

Libby thanked Heidi immediately and scurried off back home. She was finally able to have her baked beans on toast. 

Since it was such a sunny day, she decided to go for a  quick run. She got changed into her green running top and black shorts, also she applied sun cream on. Libby has put on her pink and white trainers then tied the shoelaces and then realised she needed to tie her hair up. The twenty-year-old thought maybe it is better that Heidi can help her. So, Libby dashed out the door with a turquoise hair bobble to tie her hair and her comb. 

Meanwhile, Heidi glanced outside wondering what that brunette green-eyed girl was doing. 

"Libby," Heidi called opening the door, "do you need me again? I was about to shower!" 

"Yes, I do!" Libby replied anxiously. "It's my hair! I want to go for a run but-" 

"So you're telling me you could not  tie your hair?" Heidi interrupted, pointing to her hair bobble and seeing why she had a comb with her. "Oh darling, did you even try it?" 

"Nope." Libby said shaking her head, "But, you know everything, Heidi. You're my best friend." 

Libby sat on the red chair outside the house whilst Heidi helped tie her hair.

"Libby, think!" Heidi said sternly. "Use your logic. Brush out all your hair, and then grab all your hair into a ponytail. You got lots of hair and you need this hair bobble to secure and pull the band around the ponytail. Twist the band into a figure of 8 and pull the new loopback until it is tight enough. That was a very easy job. You could have done this without my help. I don't want you wasting your time travelling to me or getting me to do everything for you!" Heidi finally finished tying Libby's hair, guessing she looks okay now. 

Libby skipped along back home and went for her run. After a while, Libby wanted to plant some sunflowers. She grabbed the yellow marigold seeds, soil, soil-spade and a watering can. There were lots of materials she needed to plant the sunflower. However, Libby did not even know how to start this. Back again, Libby jogged again to Heidi's. On the front door, Libby did notice a sign and walked towards it. It read: 

I  am out all day, today. If anyone needs me, I will be back in the evening. Signed, Heidi. 

"This is impossible!" Libby sighed, "I will never be able to plant flowers! Heidi knows everything!" 

Meanwhile, behind the bushes, Heidi put on a disguise for Libby. 

Sitting on the doorsteps of Heidi's house., Libby's head ducked down feeling like she wouldn't be able to plant her sunflowers. 

All of a sudden, she heard a voice: 

"Hello, Darling,"  a very strong Scottish accent said. 

Libby looked up and it was a different lady. She had white curly short hair with dark glasses, with a walking stick wearing black clothing and boots. 

"Are you looking for Heidi?" She questioned. 

"Yes, I am." Libby nodded. 

"I am too and I am a friend of her's as well. My name is Kyla. I need her help with something. But, the problem is she is not there. Maybe you can help me instead." 'Kyla' suggested. 

Libby nodded and agreed to help with 'Kyla'. She found out that 'Kyla' broke her pink flowery piggy bank where she stores her money and needed some help to fix it. 

"So, you broke your piggy bank." Libby said glancing at it. 

'Kyla' nodded. "That's right, so what would you think our friend Heidi would say first?" 

Libby thought for a while as she was looking at the piggy bank.  

"We should find where it is broken and do you have the broken piece?" Libby said, pointing under the . "But, it's literally that bit at the bottom." 

"Right." 'Kyla' acknowledged. "Here is the broken piece. It's the leg that came off. What should I do next?" 

"Do you have glue or some tape to stick it back on?" Libby smiled and suggested. "Perhaps we should use super glue, I think it is better." 

"Wow, young lady!" 'Kyla' smiled, "you seem to know how to do this. But which way should the leg be?" 

Libby then looked at the piggy bank and checked the black ends of each legs were faced down. 

"The glue should be stuck on at the top of this leg. So, why don't I hold the leg and you put super glue on?" Libby suggested. 

'Kyla' then agreed to do so, whilst picking up the orange super glue on the ground, her white wig almost came off! But, that was a very close call as 'Kyla' managed to put the wig on just before Libby sees it as 'Heidi.' 

"Do you think that is enough glue, my dear?" 'Kyla' questioned Libby. 

"We should see the result of this." Libby responded. 

'Kyla' grabbed the rest of the piggy bank again and got Libby to gently stick the piece on the piggy bank. It was finally completed! 

"Young lady!" 'Kyla' exclaimed, "you are such a genius! Without your help, I wouldn't have been able to do it!" 

"I just thought logically. That is what Heidi said to me." Libby replied., "And I didn't even use her at all." 

"No,  you didn't." 'Kyla' commended and smiled. "I believe you imagined Heidi in your head telling you all this. Well, thank you for your help, Darling, I have to go now." 

Libby waved timidly at 'Kyla' as she left swiftly, past the same green bushes she came from. Seeing her sunflower seeds, that made her be able to grow the sunflowers without any help from anybody. 

After a while, Heidi was back as herself again. 

"Did you need my help or anything, Libby?" She questioned her then stared at her sunflower seeds. 

Libby shook her head as she feels confident that she will be able to plant the flowers by herself after helping 'Kyla'. Heidi finally leapt back into her house with her fixed 'piggy bank' and thought that disguising would really help that young woman. 

Libby learnt that it is okay to have a little help with something, but it should not happen to regularly as sometimes things should be done on your own as well. 

Moral: A little help is okay, but sometimes things should be done on your own too