The New Girl

Lin Han was a girl from China who moved to England to improve her English. She really wanted to have a couple of British friends she could speak English to. Lin Han has had English classes over in China, but the costs of the classes were getting more expensive. 

One day, Marianne approached her and introduced herself. The two girls became chatty straight away. 

"Your English is very good, Lin Han." Marianne complimented, "I'm sure the more you speak, the better it will be." 

"Thank you!" Lin Han said looking puzzled. "My English is not very good. I think it's bad."

"But, I understand what you are saying." Marianne smiled, "I would like to introduce you to my best friend, Jo. She's really nice." 

"You are friends with that girl?!" Jo shrieked immediately, "she's from China. She does not belong here, I'm afraid girl you are going to struggle in our school, because we are a bunch of English speakers." 

Lin Han felt upset and prejudiced with the way Jo said she was from China and could not speak English. Marianne frowned at her. 

"Jo!" Marianne spoke disapprovingly, "what kind of talk is that? How disgusting of you to say such thing to Lin Han. You owe her an apology, right now." 

"I think it's rude ." Lin Han said, " but she is right. I cannot talk much English and it's nice to meet you, Jo." 

"She's from China. Your English is bad. School should not have allowed you here." Jo exclaimed horrifyingly. 

She then went off feeling infuriated about Lin Han. 

"What's wrong with her?" Lin Han questioned Marianne, "is she okay?" 

"I guess so, but sometimes she can say mean things about others if they look different to her." Marianne replied. "But, I like to mix with other cultures so I can learn from them. Your Chinese is better than all of us, so it's okay." 

Three months later, Jo was still being prejudice to Lin Han and kept saying that she is from China and does not belong in England. 

Then during that time, Jo then wanted to join a basketball club. They were all boys, but since she liked basketball, she joined and wanted to play for the school. The boys told her that she could not play, because they thought she is not very good as she is a girl and basketball can only be played by boys. Jo then felt very upset. 

Marianne then came up to her as she has never seen Jo feeling upset. 

"See, as you have experience in getting a taste of your own medicine. See how it is not nice to tell somebody that they don't belong somewhere, because they are different. It's the attitude that counts, not the look." Marianne said. 

"I guess I wasn't being nice to Lin Han, I feel extremely bad that I told her she does not belong here, because she is from China. I think her English could be good." 

Jo apologised to Lin Han and promised that she will never make fun of her or be prejudice about anyone's differences. 

Moral: Never judge a book by its' cover